Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Coated lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by La Morte View Post
    ok, but why would you do this?
    Cast lead bullets can be made for much less than commercial bullets. Depending on your lead price it could be 1/3 of the price of commercial.
    Powder coating is rather simple to do and leaves a clean bullet that is nicer to handle and load than a lubed bullet.
    Powder coated bullets has the same amount of smoke as jacketed bullets which is much less than lubed bullets.
    Powder coated bullets don't lead the barrel like lead bullets.
    The coating is non abrasive(type dependent) and reduces wear on the barrel.
    They look cool.
    You can make them yourself.
    Bullet size can be tailored to fit a specific barrel.

Because you can.

User

As per The Beast. For me, it's purely economy. I can shoot more for the same money, simple as that.

So even though I said rather buy shop bullets earlier in thread.
    Curiosity got better of me.

So I gave it a go. This is 44m 250gr. I did.

Attachment 27618Attachment 27619

The one interesting thing I picked up is.
    Once cast if you measure the bullet DIA before coating. You get as example .429 while turning it it varies .428 - .429.
    Reckon a sizer set to .428 will sort it out. But what if you want .429 and mold said 429?
    Well after coating its obviously now +-.332 as example. Then you size and its sorted.
    I need .431 for example on Marlin Lever. And I now get this.

This coating is also impossible to remove even if you climb in with screw driver.

NB: Do not Powder coat in your home oven.
    Buy a Toaster or other baby oven.

People in know overseas say it gives off smell which then effects food taste.
    While baking you can smell the powder. But afterwards Ive not picked up any smell in Toaster oven.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    So even though I said rather buy shop bullets earlier in thread.
    Curiosity got better of me.

So I gave it a go. This is 44m 250gr. I did.

Attachment 27618Attachment 27619

The one interesting thing I picked up is.
    Once cast if you measure the bullet DIA before coating. You get as example .429 while turning it it varies .428 - .429.
    Reckon a sizer set to .428 will sort it out. But what if you want .429 and mold said 429?
    Well after coating its obviously now +-.332 as example. Then you size and its sorted.
    I need .431 for example on Marlin Lever. And I now get this.

This coating is also impossible to remove even if you climb in with screw driver.

NB: Do not Powder coat in your home oven.
    Buy a Toaster or other baby oven.

People in know overseas say it gives off smell which then effects food taste.
    While baking you can smell the powder. But afterwards Ive not picked up any smell in Toaster oven.
    Those look pretty neat. Once you get going it just seems natural...

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Those look pretty neat. Once you get going it just seems natural...
    After the thread I bought a mold on guntree. And Friday after work. (we clsoe at 14h Fridays)
    I stopped at a powdercoater. He gave me a 1L yoghurt tub full of red for free. Wanted to pay he said no its fine.

I first tried with Josyd waxed once. I heated them to melt off Wax. But they still struggle to coat nicely when shaking.

But the 44 if I cast them. And limit touching. I just throw them in old small plastic peanut butter bottle.
    And shake for about minute. Then take out with large tweezer. But I dip the tweezer head in powder to foul the tips.
    So they dont remove powder from bullets where they touch.

But goes incredibly quick. And 15 min at full in Toaster oven. And then I dump in water. And you get this huge satisfaction feeling. lol
    Toaster oven was new R265-00. Thats not huge investment in a dedicated Powder coating oven.

Off course now I need a 9mm Mold. lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    After the thread I bought a mold on guntree. And Friday after work. (we clsoe at 14h Fridays)
    I stopped at a powdercoater. He gave me a 1L yoghurt tub full of red for free. Wanted to pay he said no its fine.

I first tried with Josyd waxed once. I heated them to melt off Wax. But they still struggle to coat nicely when shaking.

But the 44 if I cast them. And limit touching. I just throw them in old small plastic peanut butter bottle.
    And shake for about minute. Then take out with large tweezer. But I dip the tweezer head in powder to foul the tips.
    So they dont remove powder from bullets where they touch.

But goes incredibly quick. And 15 min at full in Toaster oven. And then I dump in water. And you get this huge satisfaction feeling. lol
    Toaster oven was new R265-00. Thats not huge investment in a dedicated Powder coating oven.

Off course now I need a 9mm Mold. lol
    Go for the 120gn TC mold with the traditional lube groove. The tumble lobe design does not work well with all guns I had tumbling 1 in 4 shots.
    Oh and buy the 6 cavity. Sure it's a bit more but it is easier to work and way faster.

The tumble lobe design does not work well with all guns I had tumbling 1 in 4 shots. .
    If you cast again from the same batch of lead, mic the rounds after casting and see if they are not a bit small.

My first batch was with pure lead, although the mould is +0.001 they were undersized and tumbled against the target.

They say pure lead shrinks more on cooling.

Pure lead is also heavier then harder lead which has other materials in.
    When an old timer at our range taught me how to make good shot for 12g with hard lead.
    He use to cast a Martini bullet with melted lead.
    He then weighed it. In his book of notes. he then verified the weight.
    For example. If its a 250gr bullet and weighed 240. It would be hard.
    If 250 or above it would be soft lead.

On studying and reading up on Powder coat and DIA for Marlins.
    I read that if the bullet Dia is off. Gas passes the sides and eats at the lead bullet affecting accuracy and causing fouling.
    Hence the need for gas checks or now powder coating to help seal.

The 44m i made with RCBS dies. when they come out the mold says .430 but if I measure all round them. They go from .428 to .430
    on the same bullet. So this will cause an issue as the one side can have gas come pass.
    The powder coating and then Sizing to .430 sorts this issue.

Ok. I still have to go shoot them. But they are all round now .430 no variations.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If you cast again from the same batch of lead, mic the rounds after casting and see if they are not a bit small.

My first batch was with pure lead, although the mould is +0.001 they were undersized and tumbled against the target.

They say pure lead shrinks more on cooling.
    That mold is known to give problems. I was sizing at 358 for a Glock and they were still tumbling. everything else was perfect. I'm still shooting the same unknown alloy as I have when trying those. Even alloy form the same batch in the lee 124 RN bullet worked perfectly.

User

Go for the 120gn TC mold with the traditional lube groove. The tumble lobe design does not work well with all guns I had tumbling 1 in 4 shots.
    Oh and buy the 6 cavity. Sure it's a bit more but it is easier to work and way faster.
    If you use a 9mm drill bit (and due care) to drill out the little micro grooves from the 124gn TC mould, the bearing surface will increase significantly. This should prevent the bullets it throws from tumbling. You do lose the beveled base, but that's not a problem IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast