Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 308 bullet for next season.

I have no idea, i have never used these before so don't know what accuracy to expect. Please explain further, im probably missing out something or not fully understanding the technical aspect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    I have no idea, i have never used these before so don't know what accuracy to expect. Please explain further, im probably missing out something or not fully understanding the technical aspect.
    It’s like this

If you say I am going to buy massively expensive bullets and shoot them, I suspect you would at least try and make them shoot accurately.

Let’s say you buy 150gr TTSX or peregrine bullets, now what?
    Let’s say you use the normal stuff, lapua brass and S335.
    You see you have a 22” barrel, and there the problem starts. If we run calculations, your top node speed of 2830ft/s is not reachable. Sure you can shoot it over pressure, does anybody want to do that with a hunting load? Anyways, now you try and do the sensible thing, aim for the next accuracy node, around 2640ft/s. The pressure is nice and low, but you gain nothing from that combo, the 165TTSX at 2580ft/s does much better.

You can always say screw accuracy, I’ll just load to MV, which by the way I can do in my heavy barrel, but can you?

You must understand the limitations of your weapon, and the combo, meaning your weapon and components. Just buying something doesn’t mean it will perform as you hope it will.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The pressure is nice and low, but you gain nothing from that combo, the 165TTSX at 2580ft/s does much better.
    I have guided several clients using the 165gr TSX/TTSX in .308 win rifles. Out to 300m, it works well on everything from springbok to eland.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have guided several clients using the 165gr TSX/TTSX in .308 win rifles. Out to 300m, it works well on everything from springbok to eland.
    I was keen on the 165gr TTSX, but read one of DaleSHs replys on another thread, stating the 150gr will be a better choice for the 308. Good to hear it works well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    What sort of velocity are me talking about in a .308 win? It would be interesting to see what recovered bullets look like, you don't perhaps have any at hand

User

Barnes gives the velocity of their factory loaded 168gr TTSX, in the .308 win, as 2700fps. I guess velocities would be between 2600 and 2700 fps for handloads using American powders. Obviously a lot would depend on barrel length and individual rifle characteristics.

I've recovered only one bullet and that was recovered under unusual circumstances. A client shot a mountain reedbuck ram standing against a rocky hillside at somewhere between 200 and 250 meters. The ram dropped to the shot, as we got close to it my client's wife picked up the bullet pictured below, ±10 meters in front of the animal. A necropsy revealed that the bullet had passed through both shoulders, putting a hole ±12mm in diameter through both lungs and the top of the heart. Exit hole was a squarish 12mm hole. The bullet must have hit a rock (or rocks) behind the ribbok on exiting and bounced back, landing between us and the animal. The recovered bullet weighed 159.4gr.

User

Very interesting, thank you. The 3rd photo shows good expansion even if the terminal velocity can be accepted to be in the range of 2200 - 2300 fps, it surely passes the test

User

Terminal performance on a TTSX is awesome. I have a lot of confidence in these bullets. The 150 grainers are probably just right and should stabilise well in any rifle. The issue of meat damage: the mono's generally don't break up or leave fragments of lead or copper that tend to do a lot of meat damage. But if you hit a bone it doesn't matter what bullet you use, bone fragments will damage the meat, and further the shock can travel through bone and impact the meat in other places, as the blood tracks into the sheared muscle.

User

I have emailed Barnes regarding the TTSX for the 308. They recommend the 168gr for "African game". They also mentioned the 168gr opens up adequately from speeds as low as 1600fps, where as the 150gr requires a bit more speed. Not sure if the cavity is bigger or designed differently for it to open up at lower speeds.

Frontier 165g works for me , S335 40gr , my barrel lenght 22". Not to worried about speed . Get sub MOA 100m , headshot 200m no problem. Enough expansion at 300m , although I limit myself to +- 270m. I shoot mainly springbuck , blesbuck and blackwildebeest , same load for ALL , they all drop. Bullet placement and accuracy counts more than.....ok ok don't want to start arguments. That's what works for me , keep us posted , always nice to read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast