Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default CHASA Handgun Nationals

As many shooters know, CHASA has affiliated with the NRA for the purpose of presenting the NRA Action Pistol discipline here in SA.

NRA Action Pistol is the old and well known Bianch Cup shoot. In the US, this is a BIG shooting match with BIG prize money.

The local Nationals will be held on 25 November in Bloemfontein.

Entry is open to all members of CHASA-affiliated associations. Entrants also need to have passed the "Tyro" table, being a qualifier shoot.

For those not familiar, the match is shot with handguns at distances from 10yd to 50yd. There are basically 4 ranges, the Practical, Barricade, Moving target and Falling plates events. Total round count is 192. All strings are started with the handgun holstered and have time limits. There are classes for Production (DA pistol or revolver), Metallic Sights (Single action pistol or revolver) and Open (Optical sights, compensators etc.) The match is revolver-friendly, if you are that way inclined.

I intend to attend. This is still very new to me, so anyone with some experience please post some hints and pointers?

User

Default Re: CHASA Handgun Nationals

I will be there too!
    Planning on shooting in the metallic Sights division.

As for pointers, there is far more time on hand than you realise, I have run a fair number of shooters through the TYRO course of fire and find a lot of the time competitors blaze through far before the time runs out, often giving up accuracy.

At the longer ranges on the Practical and the falling plates some competitors shoot in the prone position. If you intend on doing this, make sure you practice and get as smooth as possible. Also remember that safety is right up there so don't sweep yourself or any competitors.

As for those teeny tiny moving plates on that plate rack, remember to shoot them in sequence, if you miss one, move on, don't go back.

It's very much a mental game too, so keep hydrated and sit as often as you can

User

Oh, this is going to be good!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    I will be there too!
    Planning on shooting in the metallic Sights division.

As for pointers, there is far more time on hand than you realise, I have run a fair number of shooters through the TYRO course of fire and find a lot of the time competitors blaze through far before the time runs out, often giving up accuracy.

At the longer ranges on the Practical and the falling plates some competitors shoot in the prone position. If you intend on doing this, make sure you practice and get as smooth as possible. Also remember that safety is right up there so don't sweep yourself or any competitors.

As for those teeny tiny moving plates on that plate rack, remember to shoot them in sequence, if you miss one, move on, don't go back.

It's very much a mental game too, so keep hydrated and sit as often as you can
    I want to compete in Production. If I find a decent holster, I might just run a revolver...

I find the Tyro (safety course / qualifier) time limits to be most generous. The competition times not so much...

See you there!

User

What pistol do you have?

I think the issue with the competition is the ranges are far further with similar TYRO times.
    Makes the hamster fall off the wheel ;)

Indeed!

User

What pistol do you have?
    Several. I think the Glock 34 will be suited to Production class.

"Metallic Sight" class seems suited to SA pistols. Barrel length is limited to 6,25". Where does one find a 6" 1911 in 9mm?

I think the issue with the competition is the ranges are far further with similar TYRO times.
    Makes the hamster fall off the wheel ;)
    Oh, that's how the cock-ups happen. Always wondered about the process...

User

Ah ok, sadly I can't help you with a Glock holster!
    Yeh, I will be shooting my HK Elite from Locked and Locked position, it hides a very long barrel under its skirt :)

User

Thanks, will just use a Fobus paddle holster. There might be better options, but for now this will suffice.

A question regarding the Barricade event.

When shooting from the left side of the barricade, I find that my shots string out to the left and high. This is most likely due to me bending my wrist in order to acquire the target. Very awkward position. I have tried a few options, but have not found a way to shoot decently with my feet still behind the barricade are required. Normally in IPSC I would just cant the pistol to the left and get decent accuracy. Not so much an option at 25 and 35 yds, I guess.

Maybe I should try shooting left handed? Time limits will make drawing right handed, then passing the pistol to the left difficult, so I am considering wearing a second holster LH side. Not sure if this will work. Will have to try it with a shot timer.

User

Maybe stand further back, that will allow you to keep your arms slightly straighter and just twist the top half of your body?

In the open class, the guys to swap the pistols to the left hand but then use the paddles to steady the pistols against the barriers

User

Entered and paid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast