Default Most popular 20 Gauge ammunition

In our good old SA we have a very limited supply of 20 gauge ammunition seeing that the 20 gauge is by far the minority compared to 12 gauge and for that reason I would like to find out the following.

-Which shot size cartridge is most commonly used as an allround cartridge for upland walking on francolin and guinea fowl and could also successfully be used for pigeon shooting?

-Which cartridges seem to be the most affordable and most common for 20 gauge here is SA as I have seen some that are priced on par and even below that of 12 Gauge ammunition?

-Who carries enough(cases) stock of 20 gauge ammunition consistently throughout the year?

-Are there really good 20 gauge cartridges that stand out head and shoulders above the rest?

-Are there any "DIE HARD" 20 gauge aficionados on this forum that I could chat to?

Your assistance once again would be highly appreciated and valued

User

Default Re: Most popular 20 Gauge ammunition

I'll use English sizes, just for ease of the conversation, and because that is what we grew up with, from Swartklip, as a general rule European sized are one bigger, i.e a European 6 is equivalent to an English 5, except for the Italians.

"-Which shot size cartridge is most commonly used as an allround cartridge for upland walking on francolin and guinea fowl and could also successfully be used for pigeon shooting?

If you are alone hunter, only walking behind your dog, I suppose #5's will do the job. I would not recommend using anything larger that 7's when shooting doves or pigeons around sunflower fields in company."

Here's how I do it, Guineas only, I use 4's, mixed bag, 5's and frankies or partridges only, I use 6's and doves, pigeons and quail, I use 7 or 7 1/2's

"-Which cartridges seem to be the most affordable and most common for 20 gauge here is SA as I have seen some that are priced on par and even below that of 12 Gauge ammunition?"

Shop around, but normally the really good deals on 12ga is always 10-15% cheaper than comparable 20ga. I have started reloading for the 20ga, so I am very rarely in a position where I am not able to shop around.

"-Who carries enough(cases) stock of 20 gauge ammunition consistently throughout the year?"

I buy enough to last me the year when I get what I want at the right price. But most of the big players will always have some.

"-Are there really good 20 gauge cartridges that stand out head and shoulders above the rest? "

I prefer, in no specific order Clever, Fiocchi and RC, but if my planning was off and I run short, I will also use Hull, JG, Diana, S&B and Eley and as a last resort SAGA. Some loads just seem to have excess recoil, with no additional payoff, and those I avoid like the plague.

"-Are there any "DIE HARD" 20 gauge aficionados on this forum that I could chat to? "

I started shooting 20ga almost 4 years ago, I have only hunted with a 12ga on one occasion, and that is when a friends daughter used my 20ga and I have only shot 1 round of trap with a 12ga during the same time, all my clay target activities has either been with the 20ga or on occasion a 28ga, not sure if I qualify ;)

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    I'll use English sizes, just for ease of the conversation, and because that is what we grew up with, from Swartklip, as a general rule European sized are one bigger, i.e a European 6 is equivalent to an English 5, except for the Italians.

"-Which shot size cartridge is most commonly used as an allround cartridge for upland walking on francolin and guinea fowl and could also successfully be used for pigeon shooting?

If you are alone hunter, only walking behind your dog, I suppose #5's will do the job. I would not recommend using anything larger that 7's when shooting doves or pigeons around sunflower fields in company."

Here's how I do it, Guineas only, I use 4's, mixed bag, 5's and frankies or partridges only, I use 6's and doves, pigeons and quail, I use 7 or 7 1/2's

"-Which cartridges seem to be the most affordable and most common for 20 gauge here is SA as I have seen some that are priced on par and even below that of 12 Gauge ammunition?"

Shop around, but normally the really good deals on 12ga is always 10-15% cheaper than comparable 20ga. I have started reloading for the 20ga, so I am very rarely in a position where I am not able to shop around.

"-Who carries enough(cases) stock of 20 gauge ammunition consistently throughout the year?"

I buy enough to last me the year when I get what I want at the right price. But most of the big players will always have some.

"-Are there really good 20 gauge cartridges that stand out head and shoulders above the rest? "

I prefer, in no specific order Clever, Fiocchi and RC, but if my planning was off and I run short, I will also use Hull, JG, Diana, S&B and Eley and as a last resort SAGA. Some loads just seem to have excess recoil, with no additional payoff, and those I avoid like the plague.

"-Are there any "DIE HARD" 20 gauge aficionados on this forum that I could chat to? "

I started shooting 20ga almost 4 years ago, I have only hunted with a 12ga on one occasion, and that is when a friends daughter used my 20ga and I have only shot 1 round of trap with a 12ga during the same time, all my clay target activities has either been with the 20ga or on occasion a 28ga, not sure if I qualify ;)
    Thanks for this comprehensive and very informative and insightful reply and feedback.It is highly appreciated

User

Recently acquired a 2oga silver pigeon for the wife, will do the duel license thing.

Can we try keep this 20ga thread alive?

Must say I prefer a long day clay shooting with the 20ga

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I have a 20gauge sxs hammer gun. Mostly an heirloom that gets used on odd occasions. Ammo wise i inheritated a few crates of Eleys and Winchesters the Eleys being prob from 70years ago to about the 1970's. Have a few other brands like Gevelot etc etc. Never bought a box of ammo for her.

Lovely little lightweight pointers the 20 gauges are.

User

Here is another member of the 20Ga guild, been using since 2008. Just a joy to use. The premium you (sometimes) have to pay for 20Ga ammo is worth it over & over.
    I'm pleased to say that I managed, without much persuasion, to convert a number of die-hard 12Ga guys to the wonderful world of 20Ga.

Ricochet, just get yourself one, you will never regret the decision to do so.

I concur with what Johann posted above.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Recently acquired a 2oga silver pigeon for the wife, will do the duel license thing.

Can we try keep this 20ga thread alive?

Must say I prefer a long day clay shooting with the 20ga

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    You'll soon have to start looking for your own, once she gets into it, she'll be joining you on most shoots

I like my 20ga for everything, but it really comes into it's own when one goes hunting, lighter gun, lighter ammo, same performance, what more can one ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    Here is another member of the 20Ga guild, been using since 2008. Just a joy to use. The premium you (sometimes) have to pay for 20Ga ammo is worth it over & over.
    I'm pleased to say that I managed, without much persuasion, to convert a number of die-hard 12Ga guys to the wonderful world of 20Ga.

Ricochet, just get yourself one, you will never regret the decision to do so.

I concur with what Johann posted above.
    Welcome Oscar, I was wondering when you would join us, missed you at yesterday's shoot, my whole team shot 20ga.

Ricochet, like Oscar I cannot but help to spread the word on the advantages I have experienced with the 20ga, and more and more shotgunners are realising it, in my wingshooting circle at least 25% are hunting with 20ga, and if that trend continues, prices for ammo will reach parity at some stage, as with shotgun ammo, it is all about volume.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk