User

Default Firearm Export Permit to Germany for Hunting Purpose.

I wonder if someone could please advise me on the procedure to take my rifle with me to germany on a hunting trip in december
    I fly out of OR thambo late november and return in December.
    My flight from OR Thambo is direct to Frankfurt and the return trip has a layover in Heathrow.
    Both flights are with SAA except the flight from Frankfurt to Heathrow.
    I have contacted British Airways and they have told me i would be charged a 50 pound fee, they have taken my details and recorded the fact that i may be carrying a firearm.
    When i called SAPS at OR thambo i was told to just bring the rifle and they would sort out the rest????

i have now been told by a freind that an import export permit will be required from my DFO????
    I would also like to know what would be required on the german side if i arrive with my rifle.
    I found this on the net but i am not sure if it is still valid.
    http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/index.php/news/55-germany-transit-permits

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Alec

Banned

Default Re: Firearm Export Permit to Germany for Hunting Purpose.

PM inbound

Middle of winter brave man I fly out in Dec as well to frankfurt. Look can't help with much info what I do know is Germany has some of the strictest gun laws in the world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by byrongrobler View Post
    Middle of winter brave man I fly out in Dec as well to frankfurt. Look can't help with much info what I do know is Germany has some of the strictest gun laws in the world.
    Not completely; Japan is worse.

Ze Germans are strict but as long as you toe the line they will help as far as they can.

Gunservant has a good article on obtaining licenses in Germany.

User

You are in for a treat. I went hunting that side a couple of years ago. What an experience. Culture shock though those europeans are crazy. I borrowed a rifle while there so unfortunately no info on your question.

User

Howdy,

I may be able to help you out with info, but if you already have a hunt lined up, your host would be a better person to help you with the info. Germany is a federal republic, which means something that is perfectly legal in one state, can get you a fine or even jail time in another state. So any info I get in NRW is going to mean squat if you are hunting in any other state.

User

You will need a temporary export permit from SA. Your DFO arranges this. It's the same temporary export permit as one needs when taking a rifle to go hunting in Namibia so they are generally quite familiar with the process. Last time I had one done, it was done online by the DFO & took about a week for me to have the permit in my hands. I would however arrange it well upfront in case something goes wrong. I can't remember what it cost but it couldn't have been more than R100. Speak to your DFO to find out the latest.

Afraid I can't help with advice on import paperwork on the German side.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    You will need a temporary export permit from SA. Your DFO arranges this. It's the same temporary export permit as one needs when taking a rifle to go hunting in Namibia so they are generally quite familiar with the process. Last time I had one done, it was done online by the DFO & took about a week for me to have the permit in my hands. I would however arrange it well upfront in case something goes wrong. I can't remember what it cost but it couldn't have been more than R100. Speak to your DFO to find out the latest.

Afraid I can't help with advice on import paperwork on the German side.
    Thank you I am making some progress as soon as I know exactly what is cutting I will update and hopefully help the next person. ..

User

I did the opposite a few years ago... needed to bring a shotgun from the UK to SA for a hunt.

Basically the process was as follows, you needed an temp export permit from the UK and a temp import permit from SA. These were arranged in advance (I certainly wouldn’t just wing it).

More than likely you will need to do likewise... for the temp import permit, I needed to send supporting docs (and letters etc) from the hunt Organiser.

Good luck and please post what you find out and how this practically works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk