Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default QD Glock surpressor

User

Default Re: QD Glock surpressor

Hmm. I wonder how well it really works.

Anyone else cringe when he swept himself, holstering, drawing, attaching the suppressor and removing it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Hmm. I wonder how well it really works.

Anyone else cringe when he swept himself, holstering, drawing, attaching the suppressor and removing it?
    Noticed that KBK, but he's a pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Him being a typical Internet operator aside.
    I think that's an awesome option for home defense assuming it works and is a decent product etc
    One gets moeg of having his ears next to the bed and another thing to put on before looking for what went bump

User

I can not figure out what the practical use for such a supressor would be. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or behind the tacticool curve?

Home defence? How would such a long and ungainly pistol be of any benefit when defending yourself against a gang of armed home invaders? At best it will give your assailants much more to grab on to while disarming you.

Watching too many action movies? Hey, I also like watching them. What else is there to watch anyway? Just don't ever think that any emergency situation in or around your house will ever play out like the scene your favourite action hero plays in. Reality is a far cry from Hollywood fiction.

I don't mind waking the whole household while sorting out a problem in the passage, kitchen, bedroom or wherever. The neighbours can wake up too. (Don't bet on it!)

My ears may be ringing for a while, I'm used to that anyway. Hearing loss may be the lesser sacrifice compared to losing a life.

Supressed handguns may be cool toys and impress all your shooting buddies on the range and on vleisboek. They may even be beneficial when dealing with an univited cat, dog, monkey, skunk or whatever. I just can not yet imagine a SD scenario where such a device can prove to be beneficial to the user.

My experience with supressed handguns is limited to my 2 threaded .22 pistols.

Please teach me if I'm missing a point or more?

User

I would get one for "because why not", no practical justification needed...

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    I would get one for "because why not", no practical justification needed...

That's a valid reason.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I can not figure out what the practical use for such a supressor would be. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or behind the tacticool curve?

Home defence? How would such a long and ungainly pistol be of any benefit when defending yourself against a gang of armed home invaders? At best it will give your assailants much more to grab on to while disarming you.

Watching too many action movies? Hey, I also like watching them. What else is there to watch anyway? Just don't ever think that any emergency situation in or around your house will ever play out like the scene your favourite action hero plays in. Reality is a far cry from Hollywood fiction.

I don't mind waking the whole household while sorting out a problem in the passage, kitchen, bedroom or wherever. The neighbours can wake up too. (Don't bet on it!)

My ears may be ringing for a while, I'm used to that anyway. Hearing loss may be the lesser sacrifice compared to losing a life.

Supressed handguns may be cool toys and impress all your shooting buddies on the range and on vleisboek. They may even be beneficial when dealing with an univited cat, dog, monkey, skunk or whatever. I just can not yet imagine a SD scenario where such a device can prove to be beneficial to the user.

My experience with supressed handguns is limited to my 2 threaded .22 pistols.

Please teach me if I'm missing a point or more?
    I thought perhaps to save hearing while going through the house... perhaps so after confrontation with BG one you can hear if there is a BG 2 or 3 in the house...
    I guess your example of the extra 9 inches in CQB is more important to consider...
    Maybe keeping my ears at hand is still the way to go for now

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

That's a valid reason.
    If this works and does not cost a trillion Rand I'd get one for that reason too, but honestly a handgun suppressor is so far down my list of needs and I have a threaded barrel already

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    If this works and does not cost a trillion Rand I'd get one for that reason too, but honestly a handgun suppressor is so far down my list of needs and I have a threaded barrel already
    I have a 9mm Pistol with a threaded barrel too. It came with a factory comp on that thread, and will take only a few seconds to replace with a supressor. I have built a few supressors, including one for a friend's 9mm. (SP1 Sport, functions well.) I know what a durable supressor will look like for my pistol. Ideally it would be built offset from the bore centreline, so as to clear the sight path. I have just not figured out any usefull purpose for it, so I haven't built it yet.

Supressed auto pistols are also not as quiet as a bolt action can be. Lots of noise excapes through the ejection port when cycling. You could always convert it to a single shot...

Rather spend that money on ammo, training, a good torch / WML, Dillon or something usefull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast