Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New FA licence

User

Default New FA licence

Good afternoon all, I have a friend who has suffered from a stroke in the past, his speech has been slightly affected, otherwise he is pretty much ok. He has recently asked me if there would be a problem with him obtaining a FA, I told him that I'd try find out. Has anybody on the forum applied for a FA after having suffered from a stroke? Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

User

Default Re: New FA licence

............or know of someone who was able to obtain a FA licence after having suffered a stroke?

User

My opinion (yes, an opinion is like an ass, everyone has one),... why should a stroke preclude a person from obtaining a firearm?

User

He's fine. He's not mentally unhealthy and has no reason to worry.

User

Post Re: New FA licence

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    He's fine. He's not mentally unhealthy and has no reason to worry.
    He may have a problem writing the written tests, can these perhaps be examined orally?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ranger View Post
    He may have a problem writing the written tests, can these perhaps be examined orally?
    How he does the exam is not a concern. CFR wants his certificate to prove that he did the course to provide him with a competency certificate.

If he cannot write, how will he be able to shoot?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    How he does the exam is not a concern. CFR wants his certificate to prove that he did the course to provide him with a competency certificate.If he cannot write, how will he be able to shoot?
    He cannot put things together easily...........questions and answers. His mind is still very sharp, he just seems to battle with certain things now. I'll suggest to him to pop into one of local FA training centres and they can then decide on the way forward. I'll also be taking him shooting with me, this will also give me a clear indication of his abilities.

What u do not consider is that anyone who is impaired by a stroke will not be as physically able to ward off an attack. This makes them an easier target if for example they were headed to the range with a firearm.

Sounds like this is a new experience for him?. He wasn't a licenced owner before the stroke? If that is the case, would it just be easier for him to accompany u to the range and use your firearms? Be sure u have a .22lr handgun and rifle in your inventory.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    What u do not consider is that anyone who is impaired by a stroke will not be as physically able to ward off an attack.....
    IMO - that would be enough for him to motivate a sec 13 license as he can not defend himself as easily in any(hand-to-hand?) other way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Will101 View Post
    IMO - that would be enough for him to motivate a sec 13 license as he can not defend himself as easily in any(hand-to-hand?) other way.
    Correct Will101, he is wanting a firearm for self defence as he feels he can no longer adequately defend himself. I foresee this will be quite a challenge for him, all I can do is guide him in the right direction. The first hurdle to overcome will be his proficiency training, if this is passed I can't see why SAPS wouldn't issue him a competency cert..........followed by a FA licence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast