Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which jacket for cold weather to get?

Buy that side. Cheaper & more choices

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will certainly layer my clothing. I just need a decent jacket to complete the ensemble. Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    What are you doing on your trip?

For commuting in the UK and anything outdoors, I never used anything warmer than an Arcteryx Atom AR, once I bought it. Wearing this over a t shirt and light jersey was enough for me. It's insulation is synthetic, so it wasn't a problem in the rain like down is. I actually wore a down jacket more, because it was warm enough and smarter for work, although I found the Atom warmer.

If you're expecting to get wet, you need a hard shell, even a light one will do. Most insulated jackets aren't properly waterproof, unless you're spending big money. Even then, 2 jackets are better than one as you have options.

I bought a K way 3 in one first. I found it too big and clumbsy to be practical, but it was very warm.

Gloves made a huge difference when it got cold. They were usually one of the items that made a big difference.

Oh, and gortex shoes if you're out and about in the wet. But again, depends what you plan on doing as to how you dress.

I have a few Arcteryx jackets and all I really use now, but you can get deals on decent brands in Europe, jackets are fairly popular over there :)
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I will vouch for layers, including thermal underwear, wool shirt, fleece and a down jacket on the outside.
    Served me well from European winters to Patagonian winters.

First Ascent is a great brand- their fleeces, down jackets, softshells, gloves and socks are tough and world class.

User

My 2c on this is wear your old jacket over and buy a new, properly rated jacket in Germany. They will have excellent quality jackets and not more than you would pay for a decent jacket here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Buy that side. Cheaper & more choices
    Agreed 100%. That said, my preferences are Timberland and North Face jackets. Good quality and functional.

If you are thinking of buying locally, have a look at First Ascent.

Icebreaker for thermal underwear is available from Drifters and these can be expensive, as they are made from Merino wool.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 18-Xray View Post
    If you are thinking of buying locally, have a look at First Ascent.

Icebreaker for thermal underwear is available from Drifters and these can be expensive, as they are made from Merino wool.
    My sister gave me 2 Icebreaker undershirts. They are expensive but worth every cent and the No More Stink claim works 100%. After 4 days of wearing the same undershirt and not washing, there was still no wiff. LOL

User

My brother went to Switzerland, which is fairly cold too.
    He bought a local jacket there, it's all he now uses on a cold day.
    And it isn't even big and bulky.

Hi.
    As stated in earlier posts 'layers are the key'.
    My wife is Austrian and for visits 'home' I bought a body warmer from Old Khaki.
    Wasn't expensive, is lightweight, packs easily and doubles up for me in the Highveld winters here under my wingshooting camo jacket.
    Regards.
    Keith

Did a winter in Idaho. Coldest it got was -35 (-100 in a bad blizzard with wind chill).

The secret is: thermal underwear and waterproof/windproof outers. I used a Mr Price jacket, nothing special, but had the wind proofing and mild water proofing. Underneath was good thermals, shirts and jerseys etc. For skiing you need the waterproof pants etc (buy proper ski pants, don't skimp).

Shoes and socks - get warm, comfortable socks and decent shoes - nothing flimsy. You'll be walking on ice, be careful its extremely dangerous.

At -35, steel toe caps can get pretty cold...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast