Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Need some advice and opinions

Good Afternoon Gunsiters,

I need some advice and opinions.

I feel it's time to get a self defense weapon, as I work from my elderly parents's home and they tried to break in at their place last night, and I don't know for how long we will be "allowed" to acquire any weapons and with my workshop being in there garage seem to be an easy target. (I know one can do certain things to the property to make it safer, but they always seem to get past what ever one puts up)

Problem is funds, now I thought I will speak to my dad, he is 75 now and will unfortunately not be doing any active shooting with the guns he has, so I thought I will sell two of them, with a VERY heavy heart, but at the moment I think self preservation has to trump me having them as heirlooms.

He has the following: Sako Finbear Deluxe 30-06; Colt Python 357 6"; Marlin 357 Lever action, and then his Star Army Issue 9mm.

I last hunted when I was 16 and I'm 39 now, I love the Colt, but it's too impractical.

What my thoughts were to sell the Sako and the Colt, my dad will keep his Star for self defense and I will put the Marlin 357 on my name and buy a Glock or what ever pistol suits me best with the funds, and to pay for all the competencies and what goes with this.

The reason I would like to keep the Marlin is, I have seen guys put red dot sights on them, and I think it will be great to get into active recreational competition shooting with the pistol as well as the Marlin. We also have a whole re-loading kit so reloading 357 (and I think he has 9mm dies as well) wont be a problem.

What is your guys's take on this.

Default Re: Need some advice and opinions

A mint python sells for 16k.
    Sako will depend on how many rounds through barrel and what scope is fitted. Starting price there would be about 10k, but again if it's mint and nearly used with good optics that number could climb considerably.

It's a good idea to keep the lever action. Licence it under sec 15 occasional sport or hunting.
    Acquiring a new pistol for AD is a good idea. Top selling choices are Glock 19 and CZ P07. I carry Glock myself, but if i was in the market for a new SD handgun today I would give the Beretta APX good look. Avoid the PX4 Storm.

As for your dad keeping the Star, he might be better off with the Python which is simpler to operate.

User

Python's fetch HUGE dollars over here. They are very valuable and collectible. Especially in 90% to new condition.

It'd be a shame to sell his service pistol.

User

Lever actions can be tricked out to be handy as heck little packages. But there aren't many competitions you can shoot it in in that configuration. NSA is probably your best bet with that.

Of the list the Python is probably your money shot. Get that sold and you can buy a new Glock, some gear like a holster, magazines and ammo and most likely a training course.

Our club in CPT. Has once a month Black Powder shoot. They allow Lever Actions to shoot with.
    As long as pre 1900. Your Marlin will be 1894 I think.

Either way. Putting a Scope or Red dot on a Lever gun is a mortal sin.
    Rather get aperture sights.

Ive got a 44m Marlin. And love shooting it at steel gongs at our range.
    Skinner Sights in USA makes very nice sights for the Marlins and ship to SA.
    And strangely our Customs lets them go through without adding VAT or the 15% parts fee. (In the last month came through customs)

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Our club in CPT. Has once a month Black Powder shoot. They allow Lever Actions to shoot with.
    As long as pre 1900. Your Marlin will be 1894 I think.

Either way. Putting a Scope or Red dot on a Lever gun is a mortal sin.
    Rather get aperture sights.

Ive got a 44m Marlin. And love shooting it at steel gongs at our range.
    Skinner Sights in USA makes very nice sights for the Marlins and ship to SA.
    And strangely our Customs lets them go through without adding VAT or the 15% parts fee. (In the last month came through customs)
    What is it like churning your own butter each morning? And riding your horse to work?

You can set up a lever action as a nice handy, slow to reload, carbine with a red dot and a light, and even a suppressor if you want to make it a modern (slow to reload) firearm.

User

Sell the Sako, buy SD pistol, keep the rest.

User

Thanks for all the advice guys, I would love to be able to keep them all, all of the guns are in great condition and would say with confidence that they are in the 90% and up range. The Colt still has the box, and I'm really having second thoughts on the Colt.

I think the Sako might be the first one we sell, as I don't think I will be using it in the future.....

Then License the Colt under a sport section as well.

Lets hope the business deal I'm working on comes through soon, so that I can keep them all.

But I will post on here first if we do decide to sell.

User

Keep the Colt. Start the competency process today and save up as you go along. There's no rush to go out and buy a gun now seeing as you're not able to apply for a competency and license at the same time.

The comp will take at least 3 months. Add in the lag between doing your training and putting in the comp application and you've got yourself about 4 months in which to save for a good SD choice.

My guess is that by then a lot of okes will have picked up their licences for their Gen 5's so with any luck you should be able to pick up a decent deal.

Scratch around at home. There's always bits and bobs that are not in use that are good candidates for being turned into cash.

Good luck!

User

Thanks again, yea...have some deciding to do..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast