Thread: Help wanted

Default Help wanted

Good day all

I have been asked by a friend, if I would like to purchase his late fathers firearms.
    The problem is that his father passed several years ago and the FA's were in the safe all this time, only now that his mother has passed did he descover that she still had them, but never licenced them.

Is there a way around this to have them put on my name?

User

Default Re: Help wanted

It seems that the firearms may have been licensed under the old FA Act (green licenses or in your i.d book) If your friend can produce the original licences, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just for your info, the older licences are still valid and they do not expire.I'm no expert on the matter, but if your friend can produce the necessary licences, your best plan of action would be to transfer them onto a dealers stock (nearest / friendliest gun shop to you). You can then apply for your license(s) through them, which would keep everything legal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ranger View Post
    It seems that the firearms may have been licensed under the old FA Act (green licenses or in your i.d book) If your friend can produce the original licences, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just for your info, the older licences are still valid and they do not expire.I'm no expert on the matter, but if your friend can produce the necessary licences, your best plan of action would be to transfer them onto a dealers stock (nearest / friendliest gun shop to you). You can then apply for your license(s) through them, which would keep everything legal.
    I believe you'd need the executor of the estate to weigh in as well... as far as I recall, get a letter from the executor, plus executor's ID, and then go to a dealer for the rest... can anyone confirm this?

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    I believe you'd need the executor of the estate to weigh in as well... as far as I recall, get a letter from the executor, plus executor's ID, and then go to a dealer for the rest... can anyone confirm this?
    As JhbBoy said...
    Make sure to go to a local gun shop for advice aswell & visit the DFO for your area...