Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Caracal on springbok kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Very nice sighting! Is it Karoo or more North?
    In the Southern Free State, close to Philippolis.

User

@TStone: whenever I see a post with an interesting title in this subsection of the forum, I can't wait to see what beautiful or curious thing you're going to share with us next. Please keep it up, it's like a breath of fresh air for us stadsjapies (or perhaps rather like a cold glass of water for us kypies!)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It depends what type of farming you are into, when it game it's something fun, when it's livestock then it's a whole different ballgame.
    Caracal on livestock farms act completely different.
    I remember finding 5 boergoat kids killed, in the corner of a stock camp, by a caracal. One was partially eaten. Cats, and dogs, often kill for fun.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It depends what type of farming you are into, when it game it's something fun, when it's livestock then it's a whole different ballgame.
    Caracal on livestock farms act completely different.
    Ya look touché. From a nature perspective very nice.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I remember finding 5 boergoat kids killed, in the corner of a stock camp, by a caracal. One was partially eaten. Cats, and dogs, often kill for fun.
    T-stone, firstly sometimes you must also explain the pictures you post for us, you know, for city slickers like pirate, who won’t understand what feeding behaviour is depicted in picture 1.

Secondly, when livestock lives within its range, they flat ignore natural prey, I have seen them walk through a herd of antelope on a straight path to sheep. Also, where they would feed again on natural prey caught, they forego this operation with sheep, next night they just take another one, because it’s easy, safe, and energy efficient.

There are some people that think you can live side by side with such predators, because they won’t take more than they need to, such people live in la-la land, they just don’t understand nature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2