Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mossberg 500 help

Hello Gunsite,

I'd like some advice please. I bought a second hand Mossberg 500, it has a 20in barrel and 8 shot tube. From the research I have done, it is from before the 590's were made and it is a 1970's aged mossberg according to the serial number (Easily 20 years older than me).

What parts should I look at replacing- is there any parts that experience serious wear and tear?

And what spare parts should I look at getting, to have if needed?

I'm quite keen on getting Magpul furniture, is there any other accessories that would be worth while?

Thanks for any help!

User

Default Re: Mossberg 500 help

I have never owned a Mossberg, but have played with a few. Well, more than just a few...

The only part that I have seen breaking was the wooden buttstock. The plastic ones don't.

A small number of Mossbergs (and the Maverick siblings) have rough chambers and could have extraction issues with certain ammo types. Polishing the chamber usually solves this issue.

If the safety catch has a plastic button, this could become brittle with time and oil exposure. Not really a critical part, as the retaining screw will still alow you to get it off. A steel button would be nice.

Generally, they are tough as nails.

User

Congrats LeftShot, nothing better than an old school shotgun. Most folk just reckon to take it to the range and shoot it, if there are any problems, they'll soon show up.

I recently purchased an older model Rem 870 Wingmaster, I will keep everything original, just cleaned her up and refinished the wood - the old girl came out looking not too bad for her age.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ranger View Post
    Congrats LeftShot, nothing better than an old school shotgun. Most folk just reckon to take it to the range and shoot it, if there are any problems, they'll soon show up.

I recently purchased an older model Rem 870 Wingmaster, I will keep everything original, just cleaned her up and refinished the wood - the old girl came out looking not too bad for her age.
    The finish looks great, I like the darker colour! How did you get it darker ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have never owned a Mossberg, but have played with a few. Well, more than just a few...

The only part that I have seen breaking was the wooden buttstock. The plastic ones don't.

A small number of Mossbergs (and the Maverick siblings) have rough chambers and could have extraction issues with certain ammo types. Polishing the chamber usually solves this issue.

If the safety catch has a plastic button, this could become brittle with time and oil exposure. Not really a critical part, as the retaining screw will still alow you to get it off. A steel button would be nice.

Generally, they are tough as nails.
    Awesome, Thanks A-R.

I will look at getting an upgraded plastic stock and also a metal safety catch.

User

The extractor claw on mine became rounded and would not grab the rim of fired shells resulting in the fired hull sticking in the chamber.

Light finger pressure on the outside of the extractor,on initiation of the pump solved the problem untill i could get it to a gunsmith who made me a new one.

I did not see this as a fault but as a maintenance item as my old Mossberg was by then 35 odd years old and had fired countless thousands of rounds.My Mossberg is also fitted with an adjustable Poly choke which needs to be cleaned now on and again as a lot of gunk collects between the 'fingers' of the choke. Again,a maintenance item which takes 2 minutes.

A mate of mine had his magazine tube split where it attaches to the receiver. This was also after many years of hard use and was an easy repair for the gunsmith.

My safety catch is metal so no issues there.

Overall the 500 makes for a solid package.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftShot View Post
    The finish looks great, I like the darker colour! How did you get it darker ?
    Nothing but plain old "Boiled Linseed Oil"
    First step is to remove the old finish and then sand the wood down to it's natural raw state, followed by applying boiled linseed oil with your hands (small quantities) - allow to dry for around 20 minutes, then remove any excess with paper towel, then repeat, repeat, repeat............

Old school method: apply boiled linseed oil every day for one week, then apply once weekly for a month, then apply monthly for a year, then maintain by applying once per year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

What is the difference between London Oil and boiled linseed oil? I did the same but with London Oil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What is the difference between London Oil and boiled linseed oil? I did the same but with London Oil.
    Hmmmmm..........I've never heard of "London Oil"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    London oil contains lots of linseed oil, not sure if boiled or raw, and a few other ingredients.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast