Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Brown button spider - what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
    Unfortunately my memory is failing me. The last spider that I remember seeing at a shooting range during a match was a nice and big Nursery Web spider at Magnum United. And that was about 6 months ago.
    I remember it was a Nursery Web now that you've named, but that was at AC in 2016.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    I remember it was a Nursery Web now that you've named, but that was at AC in 2016.
    There are plenty of them on that range. They are quite big and absolutely harmless.

User

Default Re: Brown button spider - what now?

Even with confirmed spider bites, the bite mark is easily infected with secondary infections. Especially when people scratch the bite area and introduce harmful bacteria that are under their finger nails into the open bite wound.
    Just to be clear about this, does the necrosis around the bite wound cause sensitivity to infection?
    Because just like all other things in life I have found open wounds in healthy adults does absolutely nothing, even when being exposed to very dirty environments.
    Meaning just like the question asked, spider bites especially seem vulnerable to further infection, is it because of a specific venom ingredient?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Just to be clear about this, does the necrosis around the bite wound cause sensitivity to infection?
    Because just like all other things in life I have found open wounds in healthy adults does absolutely nothing, even when being exposed to very dirty environments.
    Meaning just like the question asked, spider bites especially seem vulnerable to further infection, is it because of a specific venom ingredient?
    Keep in mind that I'm not a medical or biology expert. But I think that when you have an open wound and eposses it to a dirty environment, it does not necessarily mean that you have exposed it to an infection causing bacteria.

A spider bite usually itches quite a bit and people tend to scratch itches. There are plenty of bad bacteria found under human fingernails. One particularly prevalent germ found under fingernails is Staphlococcus aureus, which can cause infections like boils and abscesses.

There are other theories out there but that is probably the most popular theory as to why spider bites are more susceptible to infections than other small cuts and puncture wounds.

User

And to add, remember that in SA you can find false button spiders as well as false house button spiders. They can easily be mistaken for button spider to the untrained eye. Like most spiders in SA, they do not pose any threat to humans.
    To what size do the false button spider grow? I watched a brown spider with an orange belly spinning his web on a wooden deck a few years back(he would start his web every evening around the same time and it was very interesting to watch him work). It had the same look of a button but it was rather large. About the size of a R2 coin(maybe a little bigger even).I could never find out what spider it was. Had a pic but can't find it now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    To what size do the false button spider grow? I watched a brown spider with an orange belly spinning his web on a wooden deck a few years back(he would start his web every evening around the same time and it was very interesting to watch him work). It had the same look of a button but it was rather large. About the size of a R2 coin(maybe a little bigger even).I could never find out what spider it was. Had a pic but can't find it now.
    That sounds like a Red-spot hairy field spider. They spin their webs every evening and when you get there in the morning, they (and their webs) are gone. Only to find them there again later in the late afternoon/evening, doing it all over again. They've got an orange spot on the abdomen, it's not really in an hourglass shape but it does sometimes get confused with a brown button spider. They are harmless to humans.

Adult Hairy field spiders are a little bigger than button spiders. And Button spiders do not rebuild their webs every evening. Instead, they just do some maintenance on their existing web.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4