Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    User

Default Re: Help a noob choose a bullet for a 308

This for whatever it is worth .....

I have a range of rifles and on Saturday I shot a big Eland Bull (slaughtered at 327kg) with my 375HH using a 300gr Sierra. I have done it twice this year and LOVE the big bang and the whole feel of it. I love Sierras and will always use them. They were so effective on both occasions with the Eland. I use them in my 308 (150gr Prohunters), 243, 270 and 222.
    Sierras used within their spec are brilliant. Nosler, Hornady and even the old PMP all do the job nicely and will not let you down. Pick one and be sensible.
    I played with a few 100gr PMP bullets in my 243 just the other day. Loaded 40 rounds just for fun and they shot very well indeed. MOA groupings were the norm - perfect for hunting applications.

User

My Howa 308 groups best with 168 gn bullets; either Sierra GameKing or match. Surprise is that the best load comes out at an exact round 40 gn.
    It never did like 150 gn bullets.

User

Lorenzo, do not confuse yourself to much.
    You can use a bonded 168 gr wight class bullet for medium size game in bush or planes. Even taking a kudu or water-buck with a 150 gr is no issue. The bonded C&C reduces meat loss and fragmentation.
    Some C&C (especial non-bonded) do not like very high impact speed as they might fragment on impact, especially true if hitting heavy bone, and would thus have less penetration and weight retention. So C&C might actually perform better past the 300 m range. At short range you might thus have more meat loss with traditional C&C bullets.
    Barnes type monos might be better suited in the bush and at ranges where your impact velocity is above 2000 fps. Their controlled expansion, weight retention and penetration ability would imply that they are better suited for the heavier muscled animals like Blue WB. The added benefit is that you can take smaller bodied animals with less meat loss.
    Some articles on Barnes recommend an impact velocity higher than 1800 to 2000 fps (I presume somewhat caliber dependent). Personally I prefer staying above 2100 fps impact velocity to ensure proper expansion of the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    Lorenzo, do not confuse yourself to much.
    You can use a bonded 168 gr wight class bullet for medium size game in bush or planes.
    If I ever have to hunt in planes, and I really hope that it never happens, I will use as small and fragile a bullet as possible...

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    If I ever have to hunt in planes, and I really hope that it never happens, I will use as small and fragile a bullet as possible...
    , ... it happens when you're in a hurry

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8