Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Is there an Acid Test for new carry ammo?

In context of how much I benefited from The Dot Torture which I came to know about on GS. This improved my range time and cost tremendously.
    I was hoping to learn from you guys that are far more experienced with these type of things.

I cannot afford to burn through 100s of premium carry rounds so in need to get up to speed in a compressed round count.

Is there such a thing as a compressed function test?

In days gone by I did the DOT torture with carry regularly but the cost now and the supply is biting a bit.

Any recommendation for and "ACID TEST" for new carry ammo?

Thank you.

KK
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: Is there an Acid Test for new carry ammo?

You looking for a way to confirm function in your gun is as little time as possible.

To use the min amount of ammo and at the same time keep the eye in.
    In the past I did the DOT Torture with carry ammo regularly but now with ammo at close to 1K per 50 I need look at squeezing it down ( cost and not to eat up my ammo)

User

My personal test for any new load. Place a round of standard ball on shelf at eye level. Place the new round in front of it. The new round should fit within the outline of the reliable round just touching the ogive. This pretty well insures that the round will feed correctly. This has worked for me with everything from SWC's to THV's.The only proviso is that the round has a charge that will cycle the gun. All reloads are tested in a cartridge guage or the barrel for correct sizing.

User

Might not be getting the gist of your question... but if I do, aren't they two independent and different issues?
    - if your carry ammo cycles and feeds, it should cycle and feed in 5 years.
    - reloads loaded to max should be very close to simulating carry rounds. You can practice "realistically" for a lot less.

Sometimes ammo that feeds and cycles are not as accurate through a particular gun or shooter.
    So the "function" was all encompassing.

A fail of one round in 25 makes me nervous about the batch.
    Am I being paranoid or do you guys also feel 1/25 failure is high?

A bit of the background : I am down to last few rounds of carry ammo that served me well for a long time in terms of reliability, consistency, accuracy etc.
    I bough a premium brand to top up and 1/25 issues.
    My old one was 1/500-600.

Am I being paranoid or is a 1/25 issue too high?

I am sorry to be stupid but I need to ask from the more knowledgeable. I rarely go to the range during club shoots and most times it I am alone. I am so out of place with the shooters and the language used (it sounds like text writing to me) .
    Last edited by KK20; 07-11-2017 at 11:12.

User

Personal opinion only, but 1 in 25 is much higher than I would want to trust. Now I need to go test my new batch dammit!

Yes I know reloads are not carry ammo. And carry ammo reliability is more crucial then Reloads.

But the way I normally do before running with a new load or weight.

Is to load a couple.
    Then at range only put 1 in mag. Cycle slide. Fire it. Make sure slide stays open.
    Then again. 1 round in mag. And repeat.
    This is merely to give me idea if load is enough to correctly cycle firearm.
    And keep slide open on last round. As you can load low enough to cycle new round in. But just not enough to keep slide open.

I will then load 5 in mag. And shoot them out normal. Making sure they cycle and feed correctly.

This is what I do with my reloads as mentioned. Not sure it can be seen at all as an acid test for Self defense ammo.
    As they need to be more reliable and their function is vastly more critical.

But if you want to cut huge corners and you know the risks.
    I would think the above method should be the utmost minimum.

That is 1 in two mags (mag in gun and one) and it makes me nervous.
    I changed the mags , gun was clean. I shot it like I normally shoot etc
    The gun is in good condition. After that I went through 50 PMP without a glitch. Switched back to the premium and had another after aprox 60 rounds.
    (The brand is of no importance here for the purposes of my query.) I like to know from you guys what or how you settle on your carry.

Just for this query, I do not want to discuss reloads. I have no issue with reloads for sport , recreation or carry.

This is specific to new premium carry.

I am sorry for not expressing myself clearly.
    Last edited by KK20; 07-11-2017 at 12:46.

I would say only consider a well known maker of ammo if you gonna decide on a make of carry ammo.
    And one that have been or should be around for awhile. So when you need to replace again.
    You will be able to find. And not have to retest.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast