Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default CAR TRACKING DEVICE VIA SIM CARD

Does anyone have experience with this tracking devices that is advertised where you can put the handheld device (like a spy tracker) in your children cars etc. Apparently you only need a sim card to put in the device and can put in in the boot of the car with no monthly subs but you can monitor live via a cellphone app where the vehicle is.

Something like this
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-car-audi...70910005822109

I found out my work vehicle dashcam and tracker gets disconnected between jobs when certain clever technicians are driving between jobs

User

Default Re: CAR TRACKING DEVICE VIA SIM CARD

"Uses 20megs data per month"

If your sim is not activated how is it going to use that data.
    So you so need to pay some a monthly sub to your cellular provider.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

I run something similar in a few vehicles, They can be bought off gearbest for around R200 each + Aramex shipping is around R150ish unless you're willing to wait for SAPO.

Using MTN sims and linked to the Afrihosts R1.00 once-off for 250mb reoccurring data pm promo it has no monthly cost.

Setup my own tracking server using https://www.traccar.org/ and set the devices to report in every minute, zero issue in the last year I've been running them + An android/iPhone app is also available.

User

Dumb question and probably one you have considered....but can't you make disabling/interfering with company property, such as the dash cam and tracker, grounds for termination?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    Dumb question and probably one you have considered....but can't you make disabling/interfering with company property, such as the dash cam and tracker, grounds for termination?
    Still doesn’t solve the problem of it happening.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

What about mounting a second dashcam for a while, which they do not know about then you can see what they are up to?

User

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    I run something similar in a few vehicles, They can be bought off gearbest for around R200 each + Aramex shipping is around R150ish unless you're willing to wait for SAPO.
    Any pointers as to which unit you're using and which works well or much of a muchness?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Any pointers as to which unit you're using and which works well or much of a muchness?
    https://www.gearbest.com/car-gps-tracker/pp_384313.html

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What about mounting a second dashcam for a while, which they do not know about then you can see what they are up to?
    And pray tell, where would one place this 2'nd dash cam, so that "they" would not become aware of it...?

User

Thx for info.

If I look at the dashcam footage we can see according to logs that is not recording sometimes. It seems to me the tech is disconnecting the systems. do a un-authorized trip or small job and then reconnect the systems. Without anyone knowing that I monitor the systems I found out according to the logs that when one specific tech is working alone the logs dont record any info some times. When looking at the jobcards and timesheet there is some hours missing. When the vehicle was parked overnight I inspect the vehicle and found the sim card and memcard removed from the devices. I think on the last job he was eager to get home and forget to re connect the devices. I need to catch him at one of his un-authorized stops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast