Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Choices 243win - 20" or 24" bull barrel.

I am bad at expressing what I want in English, but in otherwords:

I would like to add the a 6.5cal (hunting rifle), 223Rem (bakkie rifle) and a varminting rifle to my battery.

The 243Win I want to buy now to the role of those two combined and still have a dedicated varminting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Just to be clear: you want a short and accurate bakkie rifle with a flat trajectory to be used for hunting, but mostly varminting, and you need to reckon with wind?....
    So to answer your question, I want it to be just that - until I can buy the 6.5 cal. Then the 243 becomes a dedicated varminting rifle.

The thing is that the guy I drive for has recently married and has a kid on the way, soon he will have other matters to attend to and I want to step up in his place when needed. We used to go out at least twice a week, it is now down to two times a month.
    I will only be able to buy one rifle now as I am saving up to buy my own bakkie, which mean I would probably not buy another rifle for the next two or three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    ...Chat to Messor regarding wind and bullets - he can do the math on that. There has been a few threads on it as well.

Also chat to the veldskiet guys. They have a pretty good idea to what really works on gongs at random distances.

For your applications I would go for the shorter barrel in 243, and once it is shot out, Ackley it.
    Thanks for the advice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Chatting to Geno he will end up with a Dasher !!!!!!!

Will that be a bad decision?

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I see the Matt guy who has Youtube Channel. AirarmshuntingSA.
    Which is very nice to watch if you an airgun shooter or these days normal rifle shooter.

He is using a .260.
    Using it for Varmint and Hunting.
    He has taken several Varmint at pretty good distances around 500m.

On the other hand when you hear people talking these days its alot around the 6.5's
    I have read that the 6.5creed is a good choice, saw something here on gunsite about it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I have a 223 Howa bull barrel and it is even heavier than my 375. A normal profile Howa 243 with 24 inch barrel should be good enough for your purpose.

I have carried the 243 in a 24" bullbarrel, with the correct sling it was quite comfortable - still heavy, but comfortable. That said it was only about 7km / about 45min...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Will101 View Post
    That said it was only about 7km / about 45min...
    Donner, jy mag maar loop :)

User

Will that be a bad decision?
    The dasher is an inherently more accurate cartridge but we are cutting hairs. It has to be custom built which will push up costs. Dies and cases are more expensive and not as readily. Most co-ops or small dealers will have 243 ammunition.

User

I have carried the 243 in a 24" bullbarrel, with the correct sling it was quite comfortable - still heavy, but comfortable. That said it was only about 7km / about 45min...
    I find that my 24" bull barrel is not ideal for carrying. You are young and possibly fit and strong this will make it easier to handle. The 243 is a good varmint rifle and works well on game up to blesbok size. I have used mine on Jakals, warthog, springbok, impala and blesbok with no problem. I have seen zebra culled with a 243 but I would personally go for a larger caliber for game larger than blesbok..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Donner, jy mag maar loop :)
    Dankie, gaan darm nie altyd so nie..Dis nou maar as ek lanks die rivier 'n bobbejaan trop agter na sit wat in die rivier af beweeg..
    Walk & stalk in die bosse van die rivier is dit seker 1km op 2ure.

What would your opinion/ suggestion on my rifle choice be(caliber and barrel profile)?

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    The dasher is an inherently more accurate cartridge but we are cutting hairs. It has to be custom built which will push up costs. Dies and cases are more expensive and not as readily. Most co-ops or small dealers will have 243 ammunition.
    I am reloading for my rifle and handguns, so I have the equipment. Just need a die set and components.

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    I find that my 24" bull barrel is not ideal for carrying. You are young and possibly fit and strong this will make it easier to handle. The 243 is a good varmint rifle and works well on game up to blesbok size. I have used mine on Jakals, warthog, springbok, impala and blesbok with no problem. I have seen zebra culled with a 243 but I would personally go for a larger caliber for game larger than blesbok..
    I know the heavy barrel is far from ideal for carrying, for that I will carry my 300wm or the 303brit (in the bush) if I plan on carrying a rifle. Wounding an animal (usually vervet monkeys with the 22) would still require me to go after it, and they usually aim for thick bush. should be unlikely with the 243.

I would like to add a 6.5 to my battery, which means the 300 would see less use, and will mostly be used when hunting elsewhere, less so on the farm where I am staying.
    Last edited by CoffeeBean; 09-11-2017 at 11:17. Reason: added

User

Will

That extra 4 inches is not going to bother you, it's going to help you.
    It will make the rifle heavier, meaning better stability during longer shots, it's going to make the rifle shoot faster, less wind drift and bullet drop, and even if you decide not to chase velocity, then it will shoot to the same spec as the 20", but with less pressure.
    Less pressure will increase barrel life.

Since the 243 does not have recoil you fit something like a hunt buddy silencer, works a charm, and then the rifle is just as long as a 22" with a regular silencer.

For your purpose I would definitely not select the short barrel. You can always make a barrel shorter, but you can never make it longer.
    Also I would ackley from the start if possible, that would drop pressure further, and prevent the dreaded doughnuts in 243.

User

Will

That extra 4 inches is not going to bother you, it's going to help you.
    It will make the rifle heavier, meaning better stability during longer shots, it's going to make the rifle shoot faster, less wind drift and bullet drop, and even if you decide not to chase velocity, then it will shoot to the same spec as the 20", but with less pressure.
    Less pressure will increase barrel life.
    Thanks Messor,
    The length and weight are good points. In the end I would want the best accuracy at reasonable velocity, not over pressure, to justify the 243win cartridge.

...Since the 243 does not have recoil you fit something like a hunt buddy silencer, works a charm, and then the rifle is just as long as a 22" with a regular silencer...
    It was a 24" HOWA with a huntbuddy in a laminated thumbhole stock.

I am sure I could have the chamber reamed to 243AI while waiting for the license.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast