Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Converting Shot Shells to Slugs

Has anyone tried converting factory shot shells to slug shells? I see many posts mainly from the USA of chaps replacing the bird shot with Lyman or Lee cast slugs. I have quite a lot of no.4 35 gram SP ammo which I'd like to convert using Lee 1oz cast slugs. Seems like a simple procedure. The 1oz slug is about 28.5 grams, so a straight swap shouldn't result in higher pressures? This would be a less costly way of shooting slugs, considering the current price of factory ammo ( African Buckshot Slugs @ R13.00 each and Hornady @ a whopping R56.00 each - S&O prices).

User

Default Re: Converting Shot Shells to Slugs

I do not see why not.
    I reload 12 GA shotgun ammo...no.3's and 4's for geese and use the same load for 1oz slugs.

As you say,the cost factor is silly with goose shot,buck shot and slugs. The only ammo i buy is 7's to 9's for clays,rockies and quail.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayc View Post
    Has anyone tried converting factory shot shells to slug shells? I see many posts mainly from the USA of chaps replacing the bird shot with Lyman or Lee cast slugs. I have quite a lot of no.4 35 gram SP ammo which I'd like to convert using Lee 1oz cast slugs. Seems like a simple procedure. The 1oz slug is about 28.5 grams, so a straight swap shouldn't result in higher pressures? This would be a less costly way of shooting slugs, considering the current price of factory ammo ( African Buckshot Slugs @ R13.00 each and Hornady @ a whopping R56.00 each - S&O prices).
    It is doable with the Lee slug, as it fits inside a shot wad. The Lyman Foster type slug is larger and will not fit inside a wad. Not sure about their waisted slug.

When loading the Lee slugs in your 35g cartridges, you will find that the slug slides fore and aft inside, as the slug is about as long as a 28g load. Use some filler material to take up the extra space. A card punched from corrugated cardboard under the slug should do the trick.

You should also consider using the no.4 shot on guineas or some other suitable game, and buying a box of 28g (no.7) clays loads to convert to slugs.

S&B slugs were decently priced last time I looked.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I do. I had Lyman resized to fit into the cup until I got the LEE slug.
    What is the best way to open the crimp ?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I do. I had Lyman resized to fit into the cup until I got the LEE slug.
    What is the best way to open the crimp ?
    I've used a thin pin punch to lever out the first fold, the rest of the folds are then easy to undo.

User

I see on the interweb they make (diy) a cutter that cuts out the front of the shell, leaving something that looks like a roll crimp. I have also considered going the cast slug route, I have even thought about casting buckshot.

Those cutters are to save the shot ,wad and powder. The case is not of high value in this instance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    It is doable with the Lee slug, as it fits inside a shot wad. The Lyman Foster type slug is larger and will not fit inside a wad. Not sure about their waisted slug.

When loading the Lee slugs in your 35g cartridges, you will find that the slug slides fore and aft inside, as the slug is about as long as a 28g load. Use some filler material to take up the extra space. A card punched from corrugated cardboard under the slug should do the trick.

You should also consider using the no.4 shot on guineas or some other suitable game, and buying a box of 28g (no.7) clays loads to convert to slugs.

S&B slugs were decently priced last time I looked.
    I've managed to do a few rounds to test, using a hollow punch to cut some discs from a 14mm polystyrene sheet to fill the gap under the slug, then partly redoing the fold crimp with a flat screwdriver. I complete the crimp by placing a 18mm socket over the shell which almost closes the crimp. A gentle push with a wooden dowel completes the crimp. The converted round looks like the original factory one.
    I also have a fair amount of no.7's as well. Probably convert those instead of the no.4's.

Hey Guys,

Minor hijack- and apologies- but does a SG barrel have to be rifled to use slugs?

My understanding is that rifling isn't a must-have, but it can / does help?

No. Helps for sabots and a 4 inch rifle choke will do well if you have a smooth bore. ( we not as lucky as in the US to buy barrels over the counter)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast