Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting / controlling baboons - a question or two

Sentry = good

He sits still, you have time to dial your dope at distance.

User

They are clever enough to learn your patterns. Trying to outsmart them regularly can become an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Baboons have excellent eyesight and are very intelligent. They can be tough to kill so shot placement is everything. I've seen a large male drop when shot with a .223 at around 220m and I've personally dispatched a couple with brainshots using SD hollowpoint 9mm from min pointblank range. It took 2 shots both times to do the job. If the aim is to reduce the population number of a specific troup or to get them to relocate then it is best to avoid shooting the Alpha at all costs. Better to shoot a female or little ones as the rest will generally decide to move on.

This thread by TStone might be useful: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=68268
    I have dropped one at 15m with a 12ga using buckshot, and it only stayed down after the third shot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Ds J...I am not an expert on baboons but have had a fair amount of exposure and problems with them to feel i can answer your questions .

.Good eyesight...yes. Like any predator,they have foreward facing eyes [like a human]
    Just to be pedantic because I see this posted frequently. It is not only predators that have binocular vision (forward facing eyes). As an example many apes that are purely frugivores also have binocular vision. Animals that require depth perception have binocular vision and in the case of apes having the ability to judge distance from one branch to another is very useful....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeswardt View Post
    Just to be pedantic because I see this posted frequently. It is not only predators that have binocular vision (forward facing eyes).
    While we are being pedantic then, forward facing eyes and binocular vision is not the same thing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    While we are being pedantic then, forward facing eyes and binocular vision is not the same thing.
    Glad you've learned something then

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Have grown up and are still living in a "constant fight" with baboons. Good scope, long range caliber, lots of patience and a serious amount of luck to maybe shoot one per month. If constantly hunted they become really smart and alert. To try and control baboons with gunpowder and lead is a futile exercise. The only permanent and "friendly" solution is a good electric fence around crops.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bkcorinth View Post
    I have dropped one at 15m with a 12ga using buckshot, and it only stayed down after the third shot.
    Depends on the shot size as well. AAA is notoriously ineffective on baboon-sized animals beyond 5m. LG and SG (US OOO and OO sizes) seem to do better, due to better penetration of individual pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Depends on the shot size as well. AAA is notoriously ineffective on baboon-sized animals beyond 5m. LG and SG (US OOO and OO sizes) seem to do better, due to better penetration of individual pellets.
    00 buckshot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

If you shoot baboons with a shotty you are either a damn good stalker, or they are not afraid of humans.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast