Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default FOOTWEAR FOR MATCHES

I am both highly* agitated an offended with regard to the attitude of* certain IPSC Range officers with regard* to my wearing of (Rocky) sandles during club shoots.

This issue was regurdutated once again during yesterday's shoot.

The fact remains that in terms of rule 5.3 of the* IPSC rule book** Only camouflage dress is ruled out for matches. and for ease of reference is qoated below.

"5.3 Appropriate Dress

5.3.1 The use of camouflage or other similar types of military or police garments other than by competitors who
    are law enforcement or military personnel is discouraged. The Match Director will be the final authority in
    respect of what garments must not be worn by competitors."

It would seem that at no stage one of the RO'S give tough to the design of the footwear (Rocky sandles) in question, that is designed as outdoor footwear to provide "superior coefficient of friction for all environments, therefore providing excellent grip and traction." as stated in the advertisement* and I qoate:

"The Rocky Walker Trail Sandal is a brand new addition to the range. This technical sandal offers the support and functionality of a trail shoe with the*breathability of a sandal. Hence, the Walker is perfect for hiking in hot weather or wet terrain.

The upper section is made from quick drying webbing and has three-point hook-and-loop straps that fine tunes the fit and provides optimum support. In addition, the straps have sure grip rubber tab strap ends for quick and easy adjustments on the go.

The contoured and textured drop-in compression moulded EVA footbed cradles and supports the foot. The rubber outsole compound provides a superior coefficient of friction for all environments"

Given this short short sighedness of RO's*, one could* attend a shoot with a pair of leather soled dancing shoes.* That provide absolutely NO traction* and they would be happy as you are wearing closed shoes.

I have asked this question to the then chairpersons* of my club and province as far back as April 2016

"Where in a rulebook does it state that one is not allowed to wear sandles to a match?"

To date this question has not been (or could not be?) answered.

So unless this honest question cannnot be answered*. To satisfaction by the RO's/ chairperson.

*I have no other option as to perceive that this continues regurdutation of the issue of wearing sandles is* a vendetta against me as a person for challenging a baseless self made rule.

Can anyone on the forum shed light if there is any IPSC rule that prohibit the wearing of sandles in matches.

User

Default Re: FOOTWEAR FOR MATCHES

Your quote: “The Match Director will be the final authority in
    respect of what garments must not be worn by competitors."

DYA, I cannot quote an IPSC rule regarding wearing sandals on the range.
    It is how ever an internationally accepted range rule that no open footwear may be worn on shooting ranges.
    The reason being that if an ejected case happens to fall into your sandal / open footwear it is going to burn like hell and in all likelihood you will be jumping around trying to get the case out of your sandal. While jumping around you will probably forget about your muzzle safe direction.
    Going the German tourist route; wearing socks with your sandals may sort out the problem!?
    Pretty much the same reason that low cut, cleavage showing tops are not ideal for lady shooters!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

DYA, Remember IPSC is at least 40 years old. Some rules have been changed and adapted as technology and the sport itself evolved. One of the main reason reason for not wearing Camo's was not to create the idea that the sport is like a para military organization.

With regards to footwear I'm with you on this one. Sandals is part of our modern footwear and I agree that Rocky Sandals will give you better traction than most tekkies. IPSC attire in the 80's and now in 2017 differ like day and night. Im planning to ad those sandals to my hiking gear for light summer hikes because it is light, comfortable , good grip and give the feet air to breathe and lekker to do water crossing with sandals on.

The hot "doppie" between the toes could become a safety issue as above but some sandals openings is to small for a doppie to go through.

I think the RO.s are beyond unreasonable to address this matter unless they can proof that there is a safety issue. I have seen some shooters in the 90.s wearing sandals on hot days at national shoots. Ask the RO's to proof that its is unsafe and take it from there. Let the National body make a decision and if you are still unhappy then take it up with the International body.

The only reason they can have an issue with your sandals is if your feet smells really bad, then I'm with the RO's (LOL LOL LOL)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    DYA, Remember IPSC is at least 40 years old. Some rules have been changed and adapted as technology and the sport itself evolved. One of the main reason reason for not wearing Camo's was not to create the idea that the sport is like a para military organization.

With regards to footwear I'm with you on this one. Sandals is part of our modern footwear and I agree that Rocky Sandals will give you better traction than most tekkies. IPSC attire in the 80's and now in 2017 differ like day and night. Im planning to ad those sandals to my hiking gear for light summer hikes because it is light, comfortable , good grip and give the feet air to breathe and lekker to do water crossing with sandals on.

The hot "doppie" between the toes could become a safety issue as above but some sandals openings is to small for a doppie to go through.

I think the RO.s are beyond unreasonable to address this matter unless they can proof that there is a safety issue. I have seen some shooters in the 90.s wearing sandals on hot days at national shoots. Ask the RO's to proof that its is unsafe and take it from there. Let the National body make a decision and if you are still unhappy then take it up with the International body.

The only reason they can have an issue with your sandals is if your feet smells really bad, then I'm with the RO's (LOL LOL LOL)
    Zuku on the issue of competitors wearing sandles during Nationals in 1990's I was member of the Northern Natal team in 1995 and a few of us wore Rocky sandles during the events.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 12-11-2017 at 16:56.

User

As a SAPSA member, write a letter to your province's chairman and ask him to forward the request for clarification to SAIRO for a definitive answer. You will then have followed the correct process and will have the official answer.

Ross has a very, very good point and before one berates the RO whose primary responsibility is safety (and not for keeping up with the latest in footwear technology advertisements), get the official answer.

User

I think Ross’s point should be enough to accept that is not a wise argument.

With regards what was allowed in the old days , once upon a time eye and ear protection wasn’t mandatory.

User

Eye protection became mandatory after Lou Baker lost an eye to a ricochet on the Leeuwkop Range back in the 70's

User

Sandals do have holes, but when you have your feet in them there aren't any cavities that can readily capture a doppie from anything bigger than a .22LR. Unlike a low cut top for ladies which have a very evident pocket

User

I remember that Ettiene "Blacky" Swarts shot with Rockies at one Zim Open around 2000. He forgot his shoes and the Rockies was approved as it covers the foot and is not considered "sandels". Trying to find a old rulebook that had shoes defined.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast