Default Gearing up for new pup

Hi All

I have grown up with dogs, but beside the normal sit, stay etc they were just normal companions to play with as kids. I am now looking forward to getting one of my own, probably sometime in the new year. I will be looking into getting a gun dog (Lab or Vizsla me thinks) and plan on taking her out as often as possible once she is trained and ready. I will definitely attend a few classes, and will socialize the pup from an early age, but I figured whilst we make our yard "puppy proof" (if there is such a thing) I may as well read up on training. There are so many books out there- does anyone have any suggestions for decent reading material?

Thanks in advance

Banned

Default Re: Gearing up for new pup

Following this. We got an Australian cattle dog three weeks ago and I need some advice too.

He is called "Tjoklit"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Following this. We got an Australian cattle dog three weeks ago and I need some advice too.

He is called "Tjoklit"
    Good luck!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

He is called "Tjoklit"
    Awesome dogs those!! Post pics please Ds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Awesome dogs those!! Post pics please Ds.
    I have kids. I had a phone with working camera. Will see what I can do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenGM View Post
    Hi All

I have grown up with dogs, but beside the normal sit, stay etc they were just normal companions to play with as kids. I am now looking forward to getting one of my own, probably sometime in the new year. I will be looking into getting a gun dog (Lab or Vizsla me thinks) and plan on taking her out as often as possible once she is trained and ready. I will definitely attend a few classes, and will socialize the pup from an early age, but I figured whilst we make our yard "puppy proof" (if there is such a thing) I may as well read up on training. There are so many books out there- does anyone have any suggestions for decent reading material?

Thanks in advance

I trained my own pointing dogs and retriever by watching videos and reading (and following) the steps in this book:

Gun Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method - Hardcover May 26, 1961 by Richard A. Wolters

It's an old book and used copies are available on many online sites for $4 or $5.

Hi im not sure what area you stay in but we have a nice group of guys that train most wednesdays and alot of weekends ends around the Gauteng area. Mostly pointing on traps and i good mix of water and land retriving.There is a nice mix of expreciend handlers and new guys and lots of beer
    private message me your number i will add you to our whats app group

if you need any gear or books and dvds give mike hunt a call his got all of the stuff and his always willing to help here is his web site www.mikehunt.co.za

just stay away from his greek coffie that shit will put hair between your eyebrows

ps could also be a way to find a good puppy there is a couple around at moment

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Hi im not sure what area you stay in but we have a nice group of guys that train most wednesdays and alot of weekends ends around the Gauteng area. Mostly pointing on traps and i good mix of water and land retriving.There is a nice mix of expreciend handlers and new guys and lots of beer
    private message me your number i will add you to our whats app group

if you need any gear or books and dvds give mike hunt a call his got all of the stuff and his always willing to help here is his web site www.mikehunt.co.za

just stay away from his greek coffie that shit will put hair between your eyebrows

ps could also be a way to find a good puppy there is a couple around at moment

Thanks Strummer. Will definitely have a look at the website. I am based in the Cape (will update my profile), so won't be able to join the group, although it does sound lekker!

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    I trained my own pointing dogs and retriever by watching videos and reading (and following) the steps in this book:

Gun Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method - Hardcover May 26, 1961 by Richard A. Wolters

It's an old book and used copies are available on many online sites for $4 or $5.
    Thank you!