Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Barnes 308 150gr TTSX potential

Seeing how many animals I actually shoot a year, even premiums are a small expense in the greater scheme of things with regards to the rest of the hunt. This bullet came up in my another thread, and was recommended to me by others who hunt as well.
    How capable is it? Will I get sufficient penetration on kudu and blue wildebeest?
    Can it punch through in awkward angles if the need for it?
    Can it work in the bush?
    How about longer shots and medium game.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo99 View Post
    Seeing how many animals I actually shoot a year, even premiums are a small expense in the greater scheme of things with regards to the rest of the hunt. This bullet came up in my another thread, and was recommended to me by others who hunt as well.
    How capable is it? Will I get sufficient penetration on kudu and blue wildebeest?
    Can it punch through in awkward angles if the need for it?
    Can it work in the bush?
    How about longer shots and medium game.
    Launched with what gun at what speed, and for what anticipated impact speed?

User

Default Re: Barnes 308 150gr TTSX potential

Lorenzo...I see you have been very actice in your desire to find the right bullet for hunting with your 308.This is admirable.

The 308 with its 30 cal bullet at moderate speeds is one of the most forgiving calibers when it comes to bullet choice.

Please,i do not mean to sound pompous or facecious by this.....If you take the same time and effort as you are in finding the right bullet,and put that energy into practice at the range,practice placing the bullet where you want it and study shot placement as concerns the vitals of different animals,you will find that almost any hunting bullet will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Lorenzo...I see you have been very actice in your desire to find the right bullet for hunting with your 308.This is admirable.

The 308 with its 30 cal bullet at moderate speeds is one of the most forgiving calibers when it comes to bullet choice.

Please,i do not mean to sound pompous or facecious by this.....If you take the same time and effort as you are in finding the right bullet,and put that energy into practice at the range,practice placing the bullet where you want it and study shot placement as concerns the vitals of different animals,you will find that almost any hunting bullet will do the job.
    Thank you, I do all my practice now from field positions and off sticks, so want to make sure the hardware is correct. It's my only rifle. So have to make it work as an all rounder for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Launched with what gun at what speed, and for what anticipated impact speed?
    308;22" barrel, 1/110" twist

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo99 View Post

308;22" barrel, 1/110" twist
    One of them smooth bore rifles

User

Well there goes your opportunity as a gun writer.
    You cannot say all will work so use what you want, that is one mighty short article :)

User

Messor..in todays world,time is everything. Short and sweet...i may just be onto something.

Imagine if i became famous and got knighted....Sir pre 64 has a nice ring to it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    One of them smooth bore rifles
    Well, it won't technically be smoothbore, with those ridges down the length of the barrel...
    Which begs the question if it is technically a rifle then?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Well, it won't technically be smoothbore, with those ridges down the length of the barrel...
    Which begs the question if it is technically a rifle then?
    Well I could have said straight bore, but I was fearing being called politically incorrect.

User

Messor..in todays world,time is everything. Short and sweet...i may just be onto something.

Imagine if i became famous and got knighted....Sir pre 64 has a nice ring to it.
    Unfortunately it has to be you 64, I don't have any chance of that.

You see if the queen says "take a knee" , my reply will be something along the lines "Kneeling will be hard for me, you see slaughtering all those animals left a nasty cramp in my leg..........."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast