Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Value for money scope brands

Gents,
    Some advice please. I own a 308 for hunting purposes (bushveld and plains). I currently have a leupold 3-9x40 mounted but want to upgrade.

Question 1 - What magnification would you recommend? I was thinking a 4-16xsomething can be a good allrounder?
    Question 2 - What brands are good value for money? Many fellow hunters have recommended Lynx because of the local connection. And others say Nikon, good optics tech for reasonable prices. I always liked vortex and leupold but apparently prices are high due to import reasons.

I dont know any of the other brands that well and therefor humbly request some help from the experts in the forum. And btw my budget is R8k max.
    Thanks a million.

Banned

Default Re: Value for money scope brands

For which reason do you want to upgrade? You have a good and solid scope with adequate magnification, good service and a really good name.

Do you find the 3-9 insufficient in some way, or do you shoot over such long distances often enough that 9x magnification is too little?

I can highly recommend Lynx Lx3 range. Or the Lx2 will also be a very good option.
    The Lx3 is the newest line with some new improved features.
    Your getting good value for money. As Lynx are local. Great service.
    So it comes direct from Factory to SA.
    Not from Factory to US or Europe and then to SA. Which adds alot of extra transport and custom costs.
    And off course middle men. Making the exact same quality scope as the Lynx at least 50% more expensive.

So Lynx on rifles. But for Airrifles which was not your question I would recommend Hawke.

User

I was in exactly the same boat.... also had a 3-9x40... started playing the long range game and found the 3-9 ( with no parallax ) just wasn't cutting it anymore. So recently I got myself an Athlon Argos BTR... my intention is to build my way up to being able to compete in PRS style events ( sadly I have a veeeery long way to go ! ☺ )Fairly new to the SA market but for my purposes it seems light years ahead of my leupld 3-9 which I previously had...The Argos is maybe a compromise on the hunting side as minimum magnification is 6x and parallax takes getting used to ( but it's up to me now to practice )!Have only taken it to the range twice so far, so I can probably provide more meaningful feedback in the coming weeks, but my initial impressions are thar these scopes DEFINITELY fall within the " value for money " category with a retail of R7995 including deliveryLifetime warranty with local KZN based distributor.... so I'm holding thumbs it continues to serve my purposes ! Suppose time will tell

User

Sorry on mobile.. not sure what happened to my paragraphing

User

i use the athlons as well ... very impressed.

User

Hi guys,

A quick question for the Athlon owners.

How have your scopes been holding up?
    And on how many range sessions are these opinions based?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

User

Try Burris
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

A friend of mine has had his Athlon for a few months now, he shoots a lot. Furthest was 1000m with his .308 it was his first shot after zero

He is selling his Hawke to buy another one.

User

For a lower budget I have a Nikon Monarch 3, 4-16x42. Perfect for my hunting needs, and just as good off the bench too, however I felt it was lacking in a veldskiet competition. There the Argos was a lot better suited.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast