Default Review ATN X-Sight 3x12 HD

This is a quick review as a first time user of ATN products.

I was in desperate need of a night-time varmint control solution. I spoke to a number of people and looking at the various options. ATN stood out as the recommended choice for a number of reasons.

I spoke to Camo from TacQM about ATN and he had sold out, however he had just bought a personal unit. He offered that I could use his (note that this was a NIB unit) to test.

Straight-up that is excellent customer service, allowing a customer to use an expensive piece of personal kit, that you yourself had never even mounted to a firearm. Thank you Camo!

OK onto the review.

Camo’s 3x12 X-Sight HD came stock with the following bits and bobs.

• ATN 3x12 X-Sight HD Unit
    • 4 x AA batteries to run the unit
    • 16G Micro SD card
    • IR Illuminator
    • 2 x CR123A batteries for the IR illuminator
    • Extended battery pack 20 000 mah (optional)
    • Stock mount for battery pack (optional)
    • Carry bag, various tools and maintenance kit for the units.

The really great part is that everything is included in both boxes to get you up and running. There was no frustrating “Damn! I need and xyz that I can only buy tomorrow” which is often a frustrating issue with new kit. Well done to ATN on this.

The ATN was simple to install and they recommend that you do a firmware upgrade before you use the unit. This is simple to do and utilises the Micro SD card to do the transfer, the system self-installs, re-boots and you are away.

Mounting is simple, and was fitted to the flat-top on a Norinco CQ-A that also has a Mkonto QD suppressor installed.
    Next, down to the dam for sighting-in.

ATN has a one shot sight feature that works very well, if you do not rush it. I rushed it the first day and paid for it that night.

Basically you aim at the target and pull a shot off. Then with the sight back on target you move a curser to where your bullet hit and press enter. Done, it’s as simple as that and it works.

First night out I only managed 2 x rabbits. I’ll blame the sight, but you know the truth.
    The next day, I went back and re-did the one-shot sighting, and was a lot more successful that evening with 6 rabbits (hares actually) down in just over 2 hours.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Default Re: Review ATN X-Sight 3x12 HD

So what are my impressions?

The sight works well and does exactly what it’s supposed to do, within the limits of being a digital IR scope. The zoom works well to about 50%, anything more and it becomes a bit grainy.

It does have a still camera and video recording capability, but we did not RTFM manual and thought it was working automatically. However this was not the case.

The ATN has WiFi connectivity to an external Android or iOS device via their Obsidian app. There is a bit of lag, but your spotter is able to watch you take your shot via the external device which is very cool.

More importantly, you can also access the ATN and change settings from the device which is really helpful.

I initially had difficulty connecting ATN unit to the devices, and found that if you have too many other wireless devices/signals, the ATN’s signal seems to be flooded out. Once out in the field with no conflicting signals, both Android and iOS picked up the ATN and connected immediately.

The stock ATN IR illuminator is a waste of time. I installed a cheap Bushnell IR illuminator that was way better than the one that came with the unit. If you are buying a Gen I ATN unit, budget for an additional / better IR unit. With a better illuminator clarity increases markedly.

My best shot was 110m, that is excellent shooting considering target size and only using the ATN with stock 55gr Frontiers.

FOV is narrow, and we found that having a spotter with another IR monocular a great help. Using the rifle mounted ATN to spot with, adds to muscle fatigue quite quickly. We were shooting at a full 180 deg so it was not as simple to sweep the whole area with the rifle.

The complete set-up is heavy, note that there is a lot of additional weighty kit installed on the rifle. Suppressor, ATN, IR illuminator, Stock saddle with ext battery. Shooting without some form of rest is not wise.

If you are shooting prone, use a 10rd mag as the 30rd mags are a spot long.

We were shooting off a 3m scaffold to give us some elevation, I quickly moved to a seated or kneeling position on a tripod, as prone was not great with 30rd mags.

So the real question, Is this a worthwhile buy?

Oh yes. I have not used it on anything larger than wild hares, however it was more than adequate for my needs. Using an ATN sight has solved a huge issue for me.

I was so happy with the 3x12 that Camo loaned me, I placed an order for my own. I did opt for the larger and newer 5x20 X-Sight II HD unit, however the 3x12 will be more than adequate for most varminting needs.

Finally, thank you Camo! TacQM rocks!
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Default Re: Review ATN X-Sight 3x12 HD

Brilliant. I love mine (5-20 II)

Also found the stock illuminator to be rubbish. My UniqueFire illuminator allows for a wide beam or a focussed beam which I find to be very useful

Also had the same experience with conflicting signals at home, but in the field works wonderfully.

For some reason, it struggles to pair with my Google Nexus. Works very well with Samsung and LG phones

The graininess of the image at high zoom levels is really due to the screen used. The video recorded (when you remember to turn it on next time :-) ) is of pretty decent quality

Have fun with what I find to be a really cool gadget. And big ups to Camo for letting you play with his!