Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    Recommend you try and first shoot (if possible) all on your list, that will then narrow it down quickly.
    That is very easy to say, very hard to do. I'm quite sure if it was easy, we'll have fewer "which carry gun" threads.

In my world, a carry gun is compact or subcompact, and striker-fired (for fewer stick-out-and-hook-onto-things bits). None of the striker guns the OP listed are bad guns. It can be argued that they are all excellent (the Sig may perhaps just be more excellent than the rest at firing itself when dropped...) Of all the guns listed, from a hardware viewpoint the Glocks may perhaps even not be "best" at anything, but they are damn good at EVERYTHING. And from a support side you chances of walking into a random gun shop and buying mags for any of the other striker listed, are practically zero, while you have a better-than-fighting-chance for the Glock.

Hell I sound like a G-fanboy, which I'm not, I don't own one, but I do own 3 M&P's.

User

Default Re: Apologies for another which EDC Thread

If I had to do it all over again I'd start off with a Glock as my EDC pistol (yes, I typed that).

Make no mistake about it, I'd still get other guns - but as a n00b getting into guns for the first time and not knowing what I don't know the Glock just makes sense.

Spares and accessories are easily available and are relatively cheap when compared to other guns.

This point is something that you gloss over when you're still new to the gun world. You don't realise how important this is until you need something and find that it's not anywhere in the country and your best bet is the 100usd courier option from Brownell's for a 2usd spring.

It's also annoying having to commit to buying holsters without the option of testing them beforehand because your gun is so exotic that no one holds stock. Limits your purchase and resale options.

Having carried a hammer-fired pistol for the last few years I can say for sure that it's not something I'd quickly recommend. It takes some getting used to and may put you off EDC if you're not totally committed to it. Hence for me the P07 is not something I'd recommend.

I'm rather fond of the M&P and the P320 but again, parts and spares. And things being good today is not in indicator that they'll be good tomorrow. Just look at how things changed with the Sig agency in the last couple years.

So, long story short: get the Glock as your EDC.

Banned

You need to ask yourself some questions:

1. Are you serious about owning and carrying a firearm? I am not being impolite or silly. Some folks like the idea of having and carrying a firearm without thinking about the consequences and the responsibilities. My reason for asking this is because you are playing around with "I want" and "I should" and "meh" instead of "I need..."

2. What is your experience with firearms? Get something foolproof and reliable. If you have some experience you can relate to the answers you get. If you have little or no experience you need to listen very carefully to the experienced guys, especially the trainers. They see the mistakes every day of their careers.

3. What are your financial capabilities? Yet again not being impolite or silly. Some of those you mentioned cost more than some others.

4. Do you want to get involved in sport shooting? In that case, compact CZ and Glock are the best bets because they shoot a little bit easier than sub compacts; on the other hand: one gets used to shooting a certain pistol.

In my opinion, stay clear from the PX 4, Sig P320 and CZ Rami.
    Reasons: The PX 4 has a heavy trigger, the Sig fires upon falling and the CZ Rami is a very chunky piece of metal.

S&W mags are slightly more expensive than Glock and CZ mags.

You mention yourself as being overweight. Curves and fat rolls have - yet again my opinion and experience - a bigger influence on the ability to carry easily and conceal properly than length.

User

Get a G19/26 and be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Get a G19/26 and be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

User

Glock is always a solid option. Not always everyones cup of tea. But spares are cheap and always available.
    Can't comment on the CZ as I don't own a P07 or 09.

S&W m&p is great firearms. Mags are a bit more expensive, but it's not like you're going to buy them monthly. Keep some of the springs etc on hand just in case. In the few years of owning mine, I never needed to replace anything on them.

Sig p320 is a great gun. Great trigger and ergos. Mags are a bit expensive, but again it's not like you will be buying them monthly. You always have the option of converting a compact to a sub compact(not the slide though) with the option of swapping out the frames that makes this platform unique. And again just keep some of the springs and spares etc on hand for incase something breaks.
    As for the drop fire issue, it is being handled by sig at the moment and will be sorted in SA in the near future.

Try to shoot as many options available as you can and pick one you like and shoot best.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    Try to shoot as many options available as you can and pick one you like, can EDC best and shoot well.
    Fixed that...

User

Get the G19

User

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate all the advice given.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Stow the urge to be a special snowflake on your first gun.

Once you have a practical carry gun then you can snowflake to your hearts content.
    Thanks BigT realistically I have narrowed it down to the Glocks and CZ, would any of them fit in the snowflake category?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast