Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Primary arms in South Africa?

Hi all. Does anyone know if Primary Arms scopes are available in South Africa?

Most of the threads I can find on the subject are fairly old.

I am specifically looking at a 1 - 6 x 24 (7.62 x 39 reticle).

Thanks

User

Default Re: Primary arms in South Africa?

Not at all.

I don't know those scopes or if they are available.

However it seems that they are 2nd focal plane which is not ideal for a bullet drop compensating reticle as in 2nd focal plane you then need to use maximum magnification only for bdc to work.

Have a look at http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/ak-optics if you really want to put an optic on an AK.

I am very happy with their 300BLK AR optics version that is 1st focal plane.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    I don't know those scopes or if they are available.

However it seems that they are 2nd focal plane which is not ideal for a bullet drop compensating reticle as in 2nd focal plane you then need to use maximum magnification only for bdc to work.

Have a look at http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/ak-optics if you really want to put an optic on an AK.

I am very happy with their 300BLK AR optics version that is 1st focal plane.
    That Bushnell AK scope is also second focal plane apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    That Bushnell AK scope is also second focal plane apparently.
    Your right. Funny that, but then I would just use their AR Optics FFP 300 BLK http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflesc...n-pcl-blackout

on the AK and note where the flight path intersects with the dots and work on that. I would zero at 36 m that should again have you zeroed at about 200m at the second intersection of the flight path and use the bottom dots for beyond that.

That would be very similar to the battle setting of the iron sights on AKs.

But you can get very far as far as practical usability with the AK standard sight goes as I have seen with some of the anti poaching units that use them that we tested at tanges of up to 300 m.

For me AKs and LMs should be left standard without scopes. Thats how they were designed and thats their strength. If you want to go the scope route rather get an AR. Went through a whole process to get to this view.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Your right. Funny that, but then I would just use their AR Optics FFP 300 BLK http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflesc...n-pcl-blackout

on the AK and note where the flight path intersects with the dots and work on that. I would zero at 36 m that should again have you zeroed at about 200m at the second intersection of the flight path and use the bottom dots for beyond that.

That would be very similar to the battle setting of the iron sights on AKs.

But you can get very far as far as practical usability with the AK standard sight goes as I have seen with some of the anti poaching units that use them that we tested at tanges of up to 300 m.

For me AKs and LMs should be left standard without scopes. Thats how they were designed and thats their strength. If you want to go the scope route rather get an AR. Went through a whole process to get to this view.
    but the russian saigas etc all come with scope mounts? and are used with scopes/RDS in russian military today,

i zerod at 25m and am having to aim low at 100 to get consistant hits,

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    but the russian saigas etc all come with scope mounts? and are used with scopes/RDS in russian military today,

Scopes on AK's were a late afterthought? Side mounts (that needs to be taken off when you want to remove the dustcover and clean the gun - do they really honestly return to zero accurately?) may be the best solution though if you really want to go that route, as they are sturdy, compared to mounts on the dustcover. But you will be left with an optic that rides very high compared to the boreline due to the design of the AK with the piston that tops the barrel, apart from giving you a greated deviation between line of scope sight and line of the barrel and greater vertical deviations (which will be especiallly noticeable at close ranges but will also have an effect downrange) between POI and POA(compared to an AR in any event), getting a proper cheekweld will also be problematic. Mounts that replaces the front handguard (and does not fix to the receiver) and have a picattiny rail that comes back towards the receiver on an LM for mounting the scope have failed me as the accuracy is not consistent. And it was not the scope, as it was a Nightforce. Stamped receiver AK's and variants have a lot of flex in the gun when firing. I think they shine in a role as a robust gun for certain applications by lower trained operators that can take some nocks in vehicles and abroad vehicles etc. with no worries as to whether the optic will be out of alignment once needed. And using open sights they are plenty accurate enough to get the specific job done, say in an anti poaching application.

Try a 36m zero and see where that takes you instead of a 25 m zero. You should be close to zero on 200m and everywhere inbetween 0-230 meters you should never be more than about 2" high or low.

User

The same Russian saigas have left folding stocks
    That have a cut out for the scope mount that allows
    The stock to be folded but does not allow a rail or scope to
    Be attached to it whilst it's folded

(I haven't been able to get around folding my stock whilst using the scope mount that comes with it nor use standard AK mags no source for a bullet guide locally and don't want to be using proprietary mags)

User

Zero at 25m with 7,62R will give you an approximate 200m zero and about 5" high at 100m and 3" high at 50m. I get that with a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in a CMMG Mutant 7,62x39 (aka 7,62R or 7,62 Russian).

If you zero with the adjustable rear sight set at 100 and zeroed at 100m you will get different results obviously at 50 and 200 for example..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Makooza6 View Post
    The same Russian saigas have left folding stocks
    That have a cut out for the scope mount that allows
    The stock to be folded but does not allow a rail or scope to
    Be attached to it whilst it's folded

(I haven't been able to get around folding my stock whilst using the scope mount that comes with it nor use standard AK mags no source for a bullet guide locally and don't want to be using proprietary mags)
    suppose it would depend if you have a russian side mount or one from the local shop? maybe they are different who knows haha I have a 56 cheapie anyways so im just guessing here

i also have a CNC warrior folding stock that i scored here on gunsite =, its for a saiga, costs 140 $ and i cant fold it now with my side rail haha

my point was, that in 1947/8, i dont think mikhail was thinking about RDS, the new generation ak varients would take this into account

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast