Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Holosun - Is it worth it?

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a sight for my AR (budget is a bit tight), so I am looking at the Holosun range.

From reviews that i have seen they seem a bit touch and go?

Some guys are reporting issues where they use the sight on a AR-15 and it just dies, the "shake & wake" feature stops working, lenses are falling out and it is not as water proof as they claim (i'm not going to shoot it underwater, so i don't care about this as much) and the claims apparently comes lose and your sight start to slide around on your rail.

Other guys are also saying it is awesome sights and they have excellent customer service if something goes wrong.

Is there anybody that uses Holosun that care to share their experience with the sights? Is it worth it?

I am planning on using it for IDPA DMG matches.

User

Default Re: Holosun - Is it worth it?

I've had a HS403G model for about 1.5 years now. It was a gamble but I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's done about 3000/3500 rounds no the gun and the only issue I've had with it is at a DMG League event the acutal mount came loose on my rifle (this was about 3 months back).

Not really sure what to make of it because the gun has taken a few bumps and bashes between shooting DMG, Sas, and general range use. Until that time though it has never lost it's zero, even after I re-tightened it back down.

I'm not sure about the shake and wake feature as I always power my optic down after use, but it hasn't needed a new battery as of yet.

If you were to get one, I would suggest trying to get an Aimpoint or aftermarket Aimpoint mount. (although i'm not sure if the models currently available are the ones that use the standard aimpoint mount, as some don't).

I personally think for DMG a Red dot is adequate as we don't really shoot much longer than 100m (if you're lucky, and I do wish we did more often!)

I'm in 2 minds at the moment on getting another one for my 300blk, or going to a variable on my 5.56 and moving the Holosun to the 300blk.

Also with that all said, but it up to an Aimpoint and you can see the quality difference, but for my purposes, the Holosun is good enough.
    Last edited by Stevin; 21-11-2017 at 13:24. Reason: more info

User

Here's a review from a trainer in the US.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&__tn__=%2AW-R

User

I have used a Holosun HS403A on my AR for the past year, also shooting DMG with it. It has functioned flawlessly and kept its zero. I haven't replaced a battery on it yet, but the same as Stevin, I switch it off after use. When I'm shooting a match it will remain on for the duration of the match but after the last stage it gets switched off.

I have been very happy with it. It started out as something cheap to see if I wanted a red dot, and more specifically to spend the money on an Aimpoint, and ended up staying because it just worked.

It's accurate, holds zero and has been very reliable. Perhaps I have just been lucky that I got a good one. Who knows. All I can say is for what I paid and how it works, I would buy one again.

User

Got a 5!5 BU for my AR about a month ago,shot one club shoot after initial sight in,So far so good ... following with interest. Like the 65 MOA circle for CQB tough.

User

So it sounds like it isn't a bad buy :)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

User

The Holosun optics get good reviews in general and for the price it is a very decent rds in my opinion.

My personal opinion is that for a sport shooting gun I would use it. For a life depending gun I would buy the best there is.

User

I bought a secondhand one a few months back for sport shooting - I am very happy

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    The Holosun optics get good reviews in general and for the price it is a very decent rds in my opinion.

My personal opinion is that for a sport shooting gun I would use it. For a life depending gun I would buy the best there is.
    Agree fully!

I was going to war/leo, then of course Aimpoint all the way, but for a few comps and back in the safe it works great.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/foru...Quarter-Master

They are having a promo on these . Give them a call and I am certain you can buy with confidence.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast