Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default My GSD pup - training?

Good morning ladies and gents! So I recently became the proud owner of a GSD pup. Her name is Ella, and she's awesome. The main purpose for getting her is obviously security, but since they're such awesome dogs I am hoping to get her really well trained for more than that - running drills and so on.

Now, I have started teaching her some things already, like coming when I call, sitting when I tell her to, teaching her to fetch a ball, etc. etc. but it's nothing like I really want, and I was hoping someone could assist. Now she's growing at one hell of a pace (she weighed 9.8kg at 11 weeks old), and she's just over 3 months old now, so I think it's time to get serious with the training. Anyone have any tips or tricks or things I can read up on, clubs I can join near to where I stay perhaps? I'm currently in Pretoria, the Moot area.

Oh yes, and here she is (a few weeks back, need to get new pics, sorry for the blur, she doesn't sit/stand still):

Default Re: My GSD pup - training?

We had a male one which sadly passed away about 8 years back.
    When our Daughter was still crawling. Our dog could be eating or sleeping.
    And she could crawl over him or pull his tail or do what she want.
    And he would do nothing to her. Except nudge with nose.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    When our Daughter was still crawling. Our dog could be eating or sleeping.
    And she could crawl over him or pull his tail or do what she want.
    Parents who permit their children to do this are the reason why children get bitten by dogs for the most part.

Its not cute or adorable.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I don't allow kids to pull her tail or ears or those kinds of things at all. She does get a lot of kids contact though, so that's good. Their behaviour is a reflection on how they are raised - and dude, hers is just brilliant so far!

To the OP: contact SA Dog Training College: info@sadtc.co.za

I expect that they may be able to refer you to someone nearer to you.

If you want a protection dog, keep working on the prey drive. Get her to chase the ball, a rag on a stick, whatever she likes. High prey drive dogs are easier to work in protection and dog sports than more defence orientated dogs.

You can't really learn dog training from books or youtube (much like shooting) but check out the Leerburg channel on youtube.

GSDs are prone to hip dysplasia like many larger breeds. They have, as a breed, been persistently fucked up by people breeding for "conformity".

I would get her hips xrayed at 18 months so that you can see what you may be in for. Your vet may be able to prescribe a prophylactic treatment to stave off the effects of HD for a while.

Getting her to sit straight up and not rolled over on one hip will also help.
    Havamal

User

Toxxyc,

I found my female GSD to be much more in need of socializing in her first two years of life than the male dog. They are quite clever and need a lot of stimulation. Find a good trainer (like with the gun trainers, there are a lot of fly-by-nights out there).

Keep her occupied and learning as much as possible.

Keep her away from the pool table and do not garden when she is around.

Good choice in dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't allow kids to pull her tail or ears or those kinds of things at all. She does get a lot of kids contact though, so that's good. Their behaviour is a reflection on how they are raised - and dude, hers is just brilliant so far!
    Good. Make sure that you continue to train the children, especially as the dog gets older. Teach them how to approach, how to offer a hand for scent, how to touch and, most importantly, how to recognize when a dog is telling them to fuck off.

They go through a fear stage during 6 - 12 months. That may in the wrong circumstances lead to a bite.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    To the OP: contact SA Dog Training College: info@sadtc.co.za

I expect that they may be able to refer you to someone nearer to you.

If you want a protection dog, keep working on the prey drive. Get her to chase the ball, a rag on a stick, whatever she likes. High prey drive dogs are easier to work in protection and dog sports than more defence orientated dogs.

You can't really learn dog training from books or youtube (much like shooting) but check out the Leerburg channel on youtube.

GSDs are prone to hip dysplasia like many larger breeds. They have, as a breed, been persistently fucked up by people breeding for "conformity".

I would get her hips xrayed at 18 months so that you can see what you may be in for. Your vet may be able to prescribe a prophylactic treatment to stave off the effects of HD for a while.

Getting her to sit straight up and not rolled over on one hip will also help.
    I have heard of the HD in them, yes. Thanks for the info - she is actually inclined to sit on her left hip more often. I'll work on that. Luckily she wasn't bred for fun - her parents are both great specimens from registered dealers, and she kind of happened in an "oops" stage (owner was away on business and they managed to get together unplanned).

She will be fixed at 6 months (end February). I don't breed with my dogs - no exceptions - specifically for the reasons stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Toxxyc,

I found my female GSD to be much more in need of socializing in her first two years of life than the male dog. They are quite clever and need a lot of stimulation. Find a good trainer (like with the gun trainers, there are a lot of fly-by-nights out there).

Keep her occupied and learning as much as possible.

Keep her away from the pool table and do not garden when she is around.

Good choice in dog!
    She's currently in the yard along with a labrador and a husky (because there are construction all around us right now - we needed big dogs ASAP so we borrowed these two from my father in law). She socializes with them during the day when I'm not there. Each day we also go for a walk with all the dogs and take them to the local park. There she interacts with a lot of other dogs, so she's never lonely (luckily). Wife's also getting a pup in a few weeks of her own, but we can't decide on breed yet.

The garden's already a mess since she arrived, so I've given up on that :D Right now as long as she doesn't dig holes in the lawn I'm happy, and it's been a few weeks since the last one (touch wood).

Good. Make sure that you continue to train the children, especially as the dog gets older. Teach them how to approach, how to offer a hand for scent, how to touch and, most importantly, how to recognize when a dog is telling them to fuck off.

They go through a fear stage during 6 - 12 months. That may in the wrong circumstances lead to a bite.
    I'll keep this in mind as well, thanks. Didn't know about the 6-12 months stage - but it makes sense, I've seen it before.

User

Parents who permit their children to do this are the reason why children get bitten by dogs for the most part.

Its not cute or adorable.
    +1 This is a bad idea.

My housemate runs a training school from our place in Benoni. We do personal protection training too. It's quite far from you guys but if you are interested, give me a shout

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I have heard of the HD in them, yes. Thanks for the info - she is actually inclined to sit on her left hip more often. I'll work on that. Luckily she wasn't bred for fun - her parents are both great specimens from registered dealers, and she kind of happened in an "oops" stage (owner was away on business and they managed to get together unplanned).

She will be fixed at 6 months (end February). I don't breed with my dogs - no exceptions - specifically for the reasons stated.

She's currently in the yard along with a labrador and a husky (because there are construction all around us right now - we needed big dogs ASAP so we borrowed these two from my father in law). She socializes with them during the day when I'm not there. Each day we also go for a walk with all the dogs and take them to the local park. There she interacts with a lot of other dogs, so she's never lonely (luckily). Wife's also getting a pup in a few weeks of her own, but we can't decide on breed yet.

The garden's already a mess since she arrived, so I've given up on that :D Right now as long as she doesn't dig holes in the lawn I'm happy, and it's been a few weeks since the last one (touch wood).

I'll keep this in mind as well, thanks. Didn't know about the 6-12 months stage - but it makes sense, I've seen it before.
    Hi Toxxyc just do some research on sterilizing to early. New studies shows that it could lead to cancer later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast