Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My GSD pup - training?

Oh and do come by on Saturday the 2nd from around 10h00.

We have our annual agility competition and if time allows I will enter Odin.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Welcome to the hair everywhere club.
    We have a husky. Trust me, nothing beats a husky. Like, NOTHING. I've seen dogs shedding, and a single husky will outshed any other dog 10 times - twice a year. :P

Oh and do come by on Saturday the 2nd from around 10h00.

We have our annual agility competition and if time allows I will enter Odin.
    I've got a wedding on the 2nd :( I wanted to join them earlier but unfortunately I've been so busy, my weekends are booked ahead for weeks with this year-end stuff. So yeah, I'll have to wait until the new year.

Man I love this dog. She's an absolute treat to watch - and she LOVES water. Is this normal? I've seen dogs loving water but she simply takes the cake. She'll go lie in the rain when it's raining, sit in any water she can find, stick her head underwater in the bucket I put out for them, etc. etc. I've resorted to putting out A LOT of water, since she just plays all of it out. Currently I have out, permanently, a 25l bucket (old paint bucket), a 5l bucket (she empties this one twice a day), a flat "tray" type of thing that takes about 7l as well (also emptied twice a day) as well as a permanently connected water bowl that runs full automatically when the water level drops. She just empties them all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    contact SA Dog Training College: info@sadtc.co.za

I expect that they may be able to refer you to someone nearer to you.
    Thanks for this. Been looking at training schools in my area as well for when I get my boerboel pup and I can't find much that seems like a great option at the moment.

Nice looking pup Toxxyc! Congrats!

I have yet to find the exception that doesn't act like a crazy possessed chainsaw on meth.
    Pft. Why would you want a Maligator that doesn't act like this!
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

What's a "maligator"?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Pft. Why would you want a Maligator that doesn't act like this!
    I don't care. It's not the dogs, but the people who willingly subject themselves to it. I still want to buy you a beer some day for effectively talkong me out of getting a Mali. Oh shit, how ready I would not have been.

We will be looking at an Eastern European work line GSD for our next dog in about 5 years.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    PS: GSD pups are INCREDIBLY whiny and have BIG personalities, it's hilariously awesome. If she's been bad, like she dug a hole in the lawn, I'll go crouch by it and call her over. She'll KNOW she's been wrong and she'll come walking to me all apologetic and whining even without me saying a word. Then when I scold her she'll sit there and not look at me until I'm done. When done I'll talk to her in a nice voice again and then she'll try to cuddle the crap out of me, like climb on my lap and wag her tail and whine very excitedly. Her personality really comes close to the husky's, and I love that. :D
    I have a GS x Ridge back.
    She is almost 4years old and does exactly the same. When I get home after work, and she approaches slowly or lie and wait for me(doesn't come and greet me at the gate)...then I know she did something she wasn't supposed to do.

.....Man I love this dog. She's an absolute treat to watch - and she LOVES water. Is this normal? I've seen dogs loving water but she simply takes the cake. She'll go lie in the rain when it's raining, sit in any water she can find, stick her head underwater in the bucket I put out for them, etc. etc. I've resorted to putting out A LOT of water, since she just plays all of it out. Currently I have out, permanently, a 25l bucket (old paint bucket), a 5l bucket (she empties this one twice a day), a flat "tray" type of thing that takes about 7l as well (also emptied twice a day) as well as a permanently connected water bowl that runs full automatically when the water level drops. She just empties them all.
    Mine also love water and will play in it the whole day, she is a strong swimmer.

One thing she does that I have never seen another dog do, is climbing into trees. Apparently some Ridge backs do this.

User

What's a "maligator"?
    Seriously tho. Referring to a Belgian Malignois (Google)?

Quote Originally Posted by Will101 View Post
    I have a GS x Ridge back.
    She is almost 4years old and does exactly the same. When I get home after work, and she approaches slowly or lie and wait for me(doesn't come and greet me at the gate)...then I know she did something she wasn't supposed to do.
    Yep, they know damn well when they're being bad :D

Tell me quick - what's the best way to discipline them when they've been bad? I'm trying my utmost to teach her with positive reinforcement and it seems to work well, but from time to time the loosely rolled-up newspaper is brought to play (usually when she flatout ignores me from being too excited, running into the house and not going out when I tell her to, for example). I hate using it, even if it doesn't hurt (it really doesn't, it just makes a noise, and yes, I checked), so I'd like to get a better way.

The hole digging was best treated with harsh words. I knew from the start it doesn't help if I smack her with a newspaper because she's not in the act, I only see the hole the next morning. What I found very well then was scolding her without touching her at all, just talking to get in a "scolding voice", and that worked very, very well. Only a handful of those sessions where needed to get her to stop, but it doesn't work for most other things because the "evidence", so to speak, isn't there.

I don't care. It's not the dogs, but the people who willingly subject themselves to it. I still want to buy you a beer some day for effectively talkong me out of getting a Mali. Oh shit, how ready I would not have been.

We will be looking at an Eastern European work line GSD for our next dog in about 5 years.
    Yeah, work in an office with only women and carried a 1911 for years. I am a thpecial kind of retarded.

The eastern euro line of GSDs are pretty good. Big, strong dogs with good drive, and generally without all of the hip issues that 120 years of conformity breeding has given us.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

...Yep, they know damn well when they're being bad :D

Tell me quick - what's the best way to discipline them when they've been bad? I'm trying my utmost to teach her with positive reinforcement and it seems to work well, but from time to time the loosely rolled-up newspaper is brought to play (usually when she flatout ignores me from being too excited, running into the house and not going out when I tell her to, for example). I hate using it, even if it doesn't hurt (it really doesn't, it just makes a noise, and yes, I checked), so I'd like to get a better way.

The hole digging was best treated with harsh words. I knew from the start it doesn't help if I smack her with a newspaper because she's not in the act, I only see the hole the next morning. What I found very well then was scolding her without touching her at all, just talking to get in a "scolding voice", and that worked very, very well. Only a handful of those sessions where needed to get her to stop, but it doesn't work for most other things because the "evidence", so to speak, isn't there.
    I am still learning a lot and do not think there is a one solution for everything. Here is my experience:

Yes, I find that it is easier to get to her when talking to her than giving her a hiding. I was very desperate at times to get her to listen and occasionally used a piece of 15mm LDPE pipe - it is not as hard as a stick, and doesn't inflict much pain, if any, but hosepipes and other stuff (what I am used to/ see other people use) a lot of people use do. She would always run to her cage when something like this happened and then stayed there for a while.
    When she ran to the cage, I used to say with a firm voice "Go to your cage" - just in Afrikaans(Hok toe)... Her body language for the rest of the day shows that she is sorry. My dad taught me to physically discipline the dog, by giving it a proper hiding and all. I did just that, but after a while I saw that it is not really necessary, if it is necessary at all?
    The two things she responds to quickly when I am angry is me saying "hok toe" or "wats die?" (Whats this?). She hasn't had a hiding, of any kind, for more than a year now, and she usually obeys my commands. IMO it is not always needed to discipline a dog by giving it a hiding, especially the type that inflicts pain, I found that it is only necessary to physically discipline (as I don't know another way) if they think you are not being serious. They learn really quick, and they react to your body language and the tone of your voice.
    As kids - they sometimes forget that something is wrong or do not realize the first few times what the did was wrong.

I really don't like dogs that is not disciplined, but inflicting pain in not a very good idea. Sometimes they will bite the owner and/or the dog usually live in fear of you. I have seen this.

One thing I have realized is that when she gets an adrenaline dump, she gets so focused that her ears shuts off.. I know how to stop this, other than to 'pull' the dog away.

My dog wants a lot of attention as she gets very easily bored. You need to drain her energy for her not to get bored. On weekends I usually take her with me when I go ride the motorcycle it drains her energy for 60% of the day. My only problem is, the fitter she gets - the more she wants to do. She has plenty of space here around the house, the fenced in area around the house is about 5400m2.

What I found to work for all the digging is by putting her own dung in the holes she dug. If it is a favorite spot, then they will open it up to the dung and then leave it. I had to do this for about a month, and then she stopped.
    My dog sometimes still dig a hole, but this is only if I worked in the ground and that has my smell there(planting something in the garden) and I am not at home, or when she buries a bone.

It is my first dog, and I have learned a lot and I am still learning.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast