Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: My GSD pup - training?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Seriously tho. Referring to a Belgian Malignois (Google)?
    Yup. They can be like hairy crocodiles.

Yep, they know damn well when they're being bad :D
    Dogs are not really capable of spite or guilt. They are reacting to your demeanor when you catch them doing something wrong. They are one of the only animals that can read and interpret human facial expressions.

Tell me quick - what's the best way to discipline them when they've been bad? I'm trying my utmost to teach her with positive reinforcement and it seems to work well, but from time to time the loosely rolled-up newspaper is brought to play (usually when she flatout ignores me from being too excited, running into the house and not going out when I tell her to, for example). I hate using it, even if it doesn't hurt (it really doesn't, it just makes a noise, and yes, I checked), so I'd like to get a better way.

The hole digging was best treated with harsh words. I knew from the start it doesn't help if I smack her with a newspaper because she's not in the act, I only see the hole the next morning. What I found very well then was scolding her without touching her at all, just talking to get in a "scolding voice", and that worked very, very well. Only a handful of those sessions where needed to get her to stop, but it doesn't work for most other things because the "evidence", so to speak, isn't there.
    Prevention is way better than cure. The timing of a correction is critical. It must be immediately linked to the behaviour that you want to correct. It will not help at all to take them to the hole that they have already dug and scold them.

A sharp "no" or a blast of water from an unseen shampoo bottle (pantene ones work best) while they are doing it will be effective.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

http://www.dog-training-excellence.c...ditioning.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Dogs are not really capable of spite or guilt. They are reacting to your demeanor when you catch them doing something wrong. They are one of the only animals that can read and interpret human facial expressions.
    This makes sense, actually. I don't want my demeanor to scare her though, since I'm not a small man and I do have a loud voice (specially when I get upset). This in turn has had me really worried before, specially in her "digging month", since she would run away even if I just go crouch by the holes that she dug. I did as above is mentioned though - I buried her crap in the holes, and it immediately stopped. Curry didn't work, pepper didn't work, nothing, except the dung (I learned later that dogs don't have the receptors to taste spicy/hot foods, so it won't deter them at all, just FYI).

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Prevention is way better than cure. The timing of a correction is critical. It must be immediately linked to the behaviour that you want to correct. It will not help at all to take them to the hole that they have already dug and scold them.

A sharp "no" or a blast of water from an unseen shampoo bottle (pantene ones work best) while they are doing it will be effective.
    Exactly. She doesn't mind water at all though, so it doesn't bother her (really, it doesn't, she LOVES it). What I'm doing now is acting on what SHE does, and it's working well. If she jumps up, I tell her loudly "AF" (translated to "down", basically) and I lift up my knee. The lifting of the knee usually staggers her and she'll clumsily fall over, and that's working VERY well so far (even when she gets excited). I'm more and more teaching her to fetch the ball and to drop it when she comes to me and that's working well as well (I started off with treats, and it's now replaced with friendly words and a lot of love when she gets it right). She's learning well, but I'm worried that the occasional spank might make her afraid, and that's the thing I'm questioning most. I NEVER want my dog afraid of me, EVER. Respect and love, both ways, and that's it. I'm glad to see it's not being shot down immediately, so that's good (I guess it also helps that I'm not beating the shit out of her, so yeah).

Man I love dogs. She's at the stage now where I don't even have to leash her when we go walking, she just sticks with me :D

Exactly. She doesn't mind water at all though, so it doesn't bother her (really, it doesn't, she LOVES it).
    Its not the water but rather the shock of it hitting her out of nowhere.

I tell her loudly "AF" (translated to "down", basically) and I lift up my knee. The lifting of the knee usually staggers her and she'll clumsily fall over, and that's working VERY well so far (even when she gets excited).
    Do not lift your knee. You run the risk of breaking her sternum or ribs or injuring her hips when she falls over.

If you can teach her one thing and one thing only, teach the sit. Dogs can't jump up, can't get on counters, can't do much except bark when they are in the sit.

There is no reason to be spanking her at all. You absolutely run the risk of turning her into a fear biter.

Get a half-check collar, adjust it properly and work her. Work the heel, the sit, the down etc. Lure with treats (the smaller and the higher value the better). Correct by giving a quick snap and release on the collar. Start gently as she is still a puppy. Short training sessions, and always finish on a high, nevermind how small the high is.

Man I love dogs. She's at the stage now where I don't even have to leash her when we go walking, she just sticks with me :D
    Reinforce this with the heel command.

Seriously though, you can't really learn this stuff online. Go hit up a class with a reputable instructor before you build bad habits.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Agreed. I contacted SADTC and they came back to me with a trainer - but it's too far away. Will have to go back to them.

A Half-Check collar - that's the one that's semi-choke chain, correct? I can't seem to find them available in my area - I've looked, and I don't want to go full choke chain at all...

User

Agreed. I contacted SADTC and they came back to me with a trainer - but it's too far away. Will have to go back to them.

A Half-Check collar - that's the one that's semi-choke chain, correct? I can't seem to find them available in my area - I've looked, and I don't want to go full choke chain at all...
    First of, as said above, get instruction before you do permanent damage.

From your above message it is clear that you do not understand how a choke collar works. It is not used to choke anything and anyone choking a dog with such a collar should return to the 60's. It is actually referred to as a slip or check chain.

Read through the link Davidc posted. Operant conditioning is favoured by many trainers for the simple reason that it's humane and works.

User

Will do, thanks guys. I have already responded to SADTC on a different trainer, but if I don't get feedback soon I'll be going to the Pretoria Shepherd Dog Club - that's where you are PhantomBadger, correct?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4