User

Default Martini Henry - name on stock

I have a Martini Henry Carbine and there is a very faint name on the stock.

It was done with letter punches rather that carving, so whoever put it on there must have had access to some tooling to have done it.
    Could it have been standard practice to put the name of the soldier it belonged to on the rifle?

I would love to be able to trace information on that individual.

Pieter

User

Default Re: Martini Henry - name on stock

If it is a military carbine there is no doubt that any British soldier who punched his name onto it would have got into very serious trouble! The marking would probably have been done by a civilian owner after it was sold out of service.

User

Sad I thought I might have some link back in history. Would love to know where the rifle came from, was used, etc.

User

Quite a bit of general information on a military Martini may be established by examining its markings on wood and, most particularly, on the metal.

It is suggested that you post clear photos of your carbine's markings and see if anyone can assist. If yours is a military Martini those on the right side of the action and knoxform are relevant and also if there are any on the right side of the butt towards its plate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vanair View Post
    Sad I thought I might have some link back in history. Would love to know where the rifle came from, was used, etc.
    Many rifles with military background are very traceable but, as said, you need to supply some information.Just on the Martini's there were civilian rifles, military rifles and ex-military rifles sold to the public. Your stamps and engravings should be able to tell the story. Then, if you can deciphere the name on the stock it could just help as well.And lastly, contact your DFO. The system might have some information on previous owners. I traced two firearms with the help of a friendly DFO assistant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I traced two firearms with the help of a friendly DFO assistant.
    Just a side note :) Different continent, different ways: here in Finland any information related to the ownership of a firearm is classified, so we can not get any info of previous owners from the authorities.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Just a side note :) Different continent, different ways: here in Finland any information related to the ownership of a firearm is classified, so we can not get any info of previous owners from the authorities.
    I do not know how wide and far the powers and abilities of the SAPS goes. In one case I got info on the importer and could work from there.

User

Thanks for the help.

I will get some pics of the markings and post it

User

Hi. I am a collector of Boer war firearms and have several martini's that have the name of an owner stamped on the stock. Often several times on the rifle. My findings are that in most cases these are war trophy's and are marked so that nobody else can claim them. I am guessing the martini is not a British issue but a ZAR / OVS or private purchase martini.