User

Default Interesting Situation

Ok so here is the scene I am battling with.

Say you have a firearm that was licensed on the old act over 10 years ago, it was stolen pre new act due to no fault of yours.
    You never applied for the new license for it as it was no longer in hand. You applied for your other firearms though.

It is now recovered; serials gone.
    Forensics do the magic and confirm its yours through etching etc etc. they have also finished all their evidence work and could return it.

What are the possibilities?

Get a gunsmith to stamp the same confirmed serial on the firearm and take it as old license is valid?
    Get a gunsmith to stamp the same confirmed serial on the firearm and apply for a new license?
    Get a new WR number and apply for new license?

I just want my firearm back as its a pricey collectible.
    What is the route to follow?

User

Default Re: Interesting Situation

Would it still be collectable in the current post-stolen, post-forensics state?

Not sure about the question pertaining to the firearm under the old act, although common sense would say the licence should still be valid, but its the FCA so I am not sure about common sense in that regard.

I received back a firearm that had been stolen from me. The etching had ruined the bluing. Took it to a gunsmith who re-stamped the numbers and re blued it. Sold it a few months later.

This was under the old act, late 1990's iirc.

Had no problems with the sale.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Would it still be collectable in the current post-stolen, post-forensics state?
    It is quite rare and collectible in the degraded state; yes.
    I would prefer the original serial to be re-stamped and the area blued; but I guess my wishes with my property are secondary to what they may think.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    I would prefer the original serial to be re-stamped and the area blued; but I guess my wishes with my property are secondary to what they may think.
    In that case you have a preferred route, and perhaps with help / motivation from your collectors association you can follow this route. Good luck!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    I would say you are perfectly good to go! Restamp the original serial number, re-blue and happy chappy.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian