User

Default Mechanical Maintenance

My pistol is pictured here:
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...omeness/page10

Purchased in 1985 for R700. Round count approx 60 to 70 thousand. Many of these were relatively heavily loaded military rounds.

Today I took advantage of the fact that the range at my lgs is very quiet on a Monday morning. I arranged to meet a friend there at 08:15.
    Was slightly delayed by Fastway roaring down my road to deliver my Black Friday order from TacQM. Never thought that they would be so early.
    After a few shots, the gun stopped working: case not ejected. Simple, pull back slide...... Blame the magazine as this was the first time I was using a stainless steel one I bought on GS. Only then do I notice that the extractor is missing.
    Searched the floor, and found that little piece of metal. The very small spring was not found, so I had to get a new one. Easy thing to make fortunately.
    The extractor swivels on a roll-pin: a flat piece of spring steel rolled up and inserted through a hole in the slide, as well as through the extractor.
    The springiness of the pin is meant to hold it in position.
    The problem is that the pin slides in and out very easily. Todays' few shots had caused it to ride up and out of the hole until the extractor flew off.
    I have never thought of this pin being a highly stressed component, but the extraction of about 60000+ cases had taken its toll!
    The pin is a standard 2mm diameter one, so the local fastener supplier keeps them. Just cut a long one down with a Dremmel.
    Close examination of the old pin showed how its diameter had been reduced from its starting point.
    So, if you own a BHP or a copy, check the pins when your round count climbs a bit.

This gun still has its original mainspring, which still works perfectly after so many rounds. The extended safety was an aftermarket mod. Its shaft was re-manufactured many years ago. Otherwise, gun is only original components.

Actually, Fastway came down the road at a reasonable speed. Don't let the truth interfere with a good story.....

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Mechanical Maintenance

Epi, its done its time and brought you immense pleasure. Shift it to your play date and go plastic.
    You deserve this) )
    live out your imagination , not your history.