Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: The reality of an SLR for SD in South Africa.

When we I did some Krav Maga Self defense training about year back.
    We had couple of sessions where we did firearms.
    We used Airsoft firearms to simulate.

Basically as Big T mentioned in this thread. In real life its way different then what you think will happen or have seen and looked cool clearing a house.
    When its not a static target. That also thinks and move and shoots back. It changes alot how you react.
    In a sort of confined space like inside most houses. Moving around or getting behind something.
    A handgun is much easier to use then a SLR.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Huh?
    'Strue, y'know.

If you require a firearm for your job the company must provide...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Opening doors, fumbling with keys, checking on others etc. You only have to try it once with a rifle in real life with adrenaline pumping to realise it just gets in the way for 99% of our real world home purposes. Same reason I am totally against a shotgun which is even worse with its slow reloads and recoil.

First real post here ..... yay!!

The SLR should be the secondary weapon IMHO.

So, if there is a really big SHTF scenario, you should use your primary weapon to get to your secondary weapon. I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before. Makes sense to me.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Opening doors, fumbling with keys, checking on others etc. You only have to try it once with a rifle in real life with adrenaline pumping to realise it just gets in the way for 99% of our real world home purposes. Same reason I am totally against a shotgun which is even worse with its slow reloads and recoil.
    PPPPPPP! Mos.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

So this is my view, as a person living on a farm: If it is not attached to your body it is going to be out of reach when needed or "I just quickly went to Wee wee under the tree and when turning around the BG had my SLR..."

I have one available (AR), and also has a Lever Action .44 Mag. When for instance going to visit the neighbours at night or just having a "funny feeling" the .44 fits nicely. It is not looking "aggresive." When the "Funny feeling" becomes a reality that the cameras show intruders or the dogs go beserk or whatever other "attack is imminent" scenario the AR is used, but with a sling. Handgun in hand, AR on sling. Should contact be too close to get cover, get AR fire ready and put down suppressing fire the handgun would have been the better option in any case.

Walking around with a SLR is not a clever idea.

Handgun always the first choice for myself. AR comes handy according to scenario, but can never be a primary SD weapon.

If your handgun cannot sort the problem, use it to get to your SLR. That said, the SLR should be easily accessible.

Default The reality of an SLR for SD in South Africa.

Good evening, Henk van Zyl here. I read almost everything here on Gunsite and excuse me for asking a stupid or allready answered question. If one license a SLR for SD under Section 14, how would you handle such a weapon in reality? Must it be concerned (in vehicle) or can it be openly carried? (Wich I can almost not believe is the case). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by henk.spioenkop View Post
    Good evening, Henk van Zyl here. I read almost everything here on Gunsite and excuse me for asking a stupid or allready answered question. If one license a SLR for SD under Section 14, how would you handle such a weapon in reality? Must it be concerned (in vehicle) or can it be openly carried? (Wich I can almost not believe is the case). Thanks.

Same carry rules per s84 apply, unless on your own property

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Same carry rules per s84 apply, unless on your own property
    Thanks. I am a farmer and agree with above statements made that the best choice for SD still is your carry weapon in which you are well trained and the weapon is shot regularly. In normal farming situations a SLR is too much of a problem to travel/guard around in your vehicle where as my SD carry weapon is part of me. The rifle for me is too much of a "responsibility" for me, getting out of my vehicle, adjusting plows, starting irrigation pumps etc. letting the weapon be "unguarded". For me the SLR for SD will only have value if one have say a specific job at hand like patrolling fences, moving money etc. Thanks for a great forum.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4