Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: The reality of an SLR for SD in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Trying to get my Father-in-law to apply for a section14 SLR. He farms close to the Lesotho border and an hour drive from town.
    Would he still be allowed a Section 13 pistol?
    He had more than 500k worth of cattle stolen in the last two years and patrol at night over weekends and especially full moon as that is the cattle thieves window of opportunity.
    Anyone applied successfully for a section14 firearm, please send me a pm.

I know of a farmer around here that has a SLR on sec 14.
    He has a back injury that he used to support his motivation with, asked the doctor for a copy of the xray plates along with a supporting letter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by afzals1 View Post
    @bigt would you truly if you had the time not take a long gun out
    Is that realistically viable? Is that time better spent on other action?

We sometimes like to picture things going down in a certain way. Reality very rarely cooperates.

Realistically if I am moving through my house my pistol is probably the better tool.

Yes a long gun has advantages and is a great tool. But in the really real world my pistol is likely going to be the available tool and as a result the one I use.

User

Bravo Daniel!

The gun that is on you will be the one you use for SD 99% of the time.

Handgun for most of us.
    Farmers that generally use a "bakkie rifle" daily for tasks on the farm need to look at how that rifle can be applied for SD. Think scout rifle. They generally shoot the Bakkie rifle better than their handguns due to low levels of practice. The bakkie rifle also makes them less of a target: criminals want SLR's to perpetrate crime, they don't look at a bolt gun as a viable weapon for criminal activity. 308 or 303 are more effective one shot stoppers than .223 or handgun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zipp View Post
    Bravo Daniel!

The gun that is on you will be the one you use for SD 99% of the time.

Handgun for most of us.
    Farmers that generally use a "bakkie rifle" daily for tasks on the farm need to look at how that rifle can be applied for SD. Think scout rifle. They generally shoot the Bakkie rifle better than their handguns due to low levels of practice. The bakkie rifle also makes them less of a target: criminals want SLR's to perpetrate crime, they don't look at a bolt gun as a viable weapon for criminal activity. 308 or 303 are more effective one shot stoppers than .223 or handgun.
    looking at a rifle licensed specifically for SD, i doubt anyone would license a bolt for that purpose

mind you i think the ruger gunsite scout looks amazing, but the same can be achieved with a howa 1500 with detachable magazine

still a very good platform, but against multiple attackers with semi autos? prob not as they would now have an advantage with fire rate

not every shot is a hit, i'd like to increase my chances :)
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 30-11-2017 at 11:46.

User

Gazzamak.
    The point being: If the SLR is in the safe, that is where your increased chances lie, in the safe.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    This thread will only proceed on the understanding that the SLR discussed has been or is sought to be, licensed specifically for self-defense purposes. Any suggestion to the contrary will attract unfavourable attention from the moderators. The point of the discussion is whether it makes sense to seek to license an SLR for SD or not. It will also be borne in mind that only a single handgun may be licensed for SD.
    Or... you take the trouble to get your business accredited with SAPS as an 'in-house security provider', and then you can 'issue' the firearms to your staff... It took us two years to get the accreditation.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Dont overlook the lever actions as bakkie or HD rifles.They are short and manoeuverable and in muzzle energy terms the old 30-30 is ahead of the 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 rounds and soft nose to boot.Individual rounds can be loaded on the fly without removing magazines or opening bolts.You can pump rounds out of it whilst at the shoulder faster than a bolt action.If we are talking 357 or 44 magnum the velocity from a 20 inch barrel puts the wheelies to shame.From a public perspective they are just old cowboy guns and nothing like "assault" rifles. Much better image. You can probably own them in California without any hassles. Think about it. A Winchester Mod 94 Trapper in 44 mag and an 18 inch barrel would work very nicely.

User

Handgun handgun handgun.
    Murphy is a son of a bitch. You will need your gun when your long gun is out of reach.
    Attackers on farms are not random they watch from the shadows and wil strike when that long gun is out of reach. A handgun never needs to be out of reach a long gun almost allways will be. Even when that long gun is 5m away it might as well be a km away.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

"Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast