Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The reality of an SLR for SD in South Africa.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/the-t...arth-and-home/

From the above links, we can see the "experts" believe it's situational. The merits of the AR are spoken of, BUT that's if you have access to it. Nothing beats a handgun for accessibility though.

User

I thought about if I will ever use my AR15 as a home defense weapon in a self defense scenario and came to conclusion that I don't want to shoot my AR fitted with compensator without ear protection and even less so inside my house.I'm willing to bet it will disorientate you to the point of taking you out if the fight. Even when fitted with a normal flash hider inside a building.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Living in a city I would have a pistol as my SD firearm.

Living on a farm or remote rural areas I would do everything in my power to have a Section 14 MSR as my SD firearm.
    The reality of the matter is, in a rural area you still have to work, mostly physical work. In such a situation, a long gun will mostly be in your way and out of your hands. That relates to dead slow reaction times. So your handgun will still be your primary SD gun, with the long gun most likely sitting in the safe. Same goes when traveling in the bakkie, truck, tractor, bike etc.

Where the long gun shines, is when you are alerted to some disturbance, and have a few seconds to go fetch it. This is however not always possible.

The possibility of longer range engagements are significantly higher in rural areas. There are many places attackers can hide (and shoot at you from) that are ouside of realistic handgun ranges. The ability to penetrate cover may also be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Is that realistically viable? Is that time better spent on other action?

We sometimes like to picture things going down in a certain way. Reality very rarely cooperates.

Realistically if I am moving through my house my pistol is probably the better tool.

Yes a long gun has advantages and is a great tool. But in the really real world my pistol is likely going to be the available tool and as a result the one I use.
    Thanks T and true to form. As you say it never plays out as we want and we forget we need to train with handguns instead of losing our minds with tactical gear up

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Or... you take the trouble to get your business accredited with SAPS as an 'in-house security provider', and then you can 'issue' the firearms to your staff... It took us two years to get the accreditation.
    Good plan! What are the requirements to get accredited and approx costs?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Good plan! What are the requirements to get accredited and approx costs?
    You apply for it!

I stumbled across it by accident when we were applying for accreditation as a training service supplier. We applied for both accreditation as a trainer and for in-house security together (as you can) and they were approved. Several people in the CFR infrastructure did tell me they were somewhat surprised by it as they were not aware the accreditation even existed.

I now use this accreditation to issue my firearms to employees (when required). Even security at OR Tambo and Cape Town accept this for flying company-licenced firearms.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

You apply for it!

I stumbled across it by accident when we were applying for accreditation as a training service supplier. We applied for both accreditation as a trainer and for in-house security together (as you can) and they were approved. Several people in the CFR infrastructure did tell me they were somewhat surprised by it as they were not aware the accreditation even existed.

I now use this accreditation to issue my firearms to employees (when required). Even security at OR Tambo and Cape Town accept this for flying company-licenced firearms.
    Wow....I assume it must be a company that applies for it, or can you apply in personal name?

Sent from my ConeXis X2 using Tapatalk

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Wow....I assume it must be a company that applies for it, or can you apply in personal name?

Yup! And I guess your motivation has to be pretty darned good.

We are prevented by law from using our personal firearms to protect the business and its employees... even when we are transporting stock which may contain crates and crates of firearms. How else do you suppose we should protect our human assets?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Yup! And I guess your motivation has to be pretty darned good.

We are prevented by law from using our personal firearms to protect the business and its employees... even when we are transporting stock which may contain crates and crates of firearms. How else do you suppose we should protect our human assets?
    Good info thanks man, may try get my company accredited when I have the energy!

We are prevented by law from using our personal firearms to protect the business and its employees
    Huh?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast