User

Default Another Nikko Stirling vs others question

Hey guys

So I got a "free" Nikko Stirling scope and rings with the purchase of my Howa .308 rifle. After some research, I can gather why it is given away as a freebie.

I would like to try some longer range shooting with the 308, say out to 500-600m at the range.

The Nikko is a 4-12x50 with half mil dot reticle. I am torn as to what to do with the scope due to it's questionable reputation.

I currently have a Brno 22 Hornet with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40-something on it, and an ancient 4x Bushnell Banner that lives on my 303. Both these scopes are Plex reticles only with no dots etc.

So, do I put the NS on the Hornet, just to give it a fighting chance to not die due to recoil on the 308, and use the Nikon on the 308 - putting my "long range" play out of the question due to the plex reticle, or hope for the best?

Ultimately, I was looking at buying a Vixen 5-20x50 for the 308, but as it happens, yesterday brought some not so good news that made me put the purchase on hold until further notice.

What say you?

User

Default Re: Another Nikko Stirling vs others question

Been looking at one of these (Diamond LR 6-24) as a temporary solution to fit on my 6.5 Creed due to medical expenses (there is another thread on that). Apparently some guys are impressed that they last. My only issue with it is the 20MOA up/down...even with a 20MOA rail, you're at 37ish MOA for 1km (using Creedmoor speeds) so on it's edge...

Keep it, use it, and if it breaks then have it replaced...

Banned

The Nikko Stirling has a bad name but I think it has to been seen in perspective. We usually get what we pay. NS is for all practical purposes the cheapest scope out there.

And I have seen a few rifles with NS scopes giving good service for quite a few years. I personally know a very reputable gun smith who sold and mounted lots of NS scopes because they are good enough for the beginner and the once-a-year biltong hunter.

If you shoot more and need more from a scope, get something which can do the job.

But, for the hell of it, I would mount the NS on the 308 and give it a test. If it really does not hold up you can replace it with another one. Putting a 4-12 scope on a 22 Hornet sounds like a waste in my humble opinion.

Hopefully, by that time, you would have gotten over the cause of the bad news and be able to buy a proper scope.

Best of wishes!

User

I don't think the recoil of a 308 will kill it. I got one as part of a Howa deal as well. Put it on a gas rammed air rifle. Just under a year later, it's still going strong. Glass is ok considering the price, adjusts reliably.

For longer ranges, continually daillling up and down will probably be the end of the scope. To me, the mechanics are the biggest difference between these and more expensive scopes.

I would put it on the 308, shoot it till it gives up the ghost. Start saving for something better so long.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

The Nikon is a far better scope than the Nikko Sterling. I have 3 ProStaffs, and 2 of those 4-12x40s (one on a .22LR nogal, Dominee... although admittedly it's just a tiny tad top heavy now)

Put the ProStaff on the 308 and first get to know the gun, without wondering if your scope is wonky. Then get yourself Strelok Pro, and learn to shoot the plex reticle at distance (it's most definitely doable, if somewhat more challenging... and if you're gonna go far out you're gonna dial for drop and drift anyway...)

ETA: but get proper rings for the ProStaff on the 308, you can't go wrong with Warne, which all my rifles wear, but it's not the only option)

Patchy QC I think.

Once upon a time when women were hairy and men liked it, they were made in Japan. Like so many others they are made in China etc nowdays.

Having said that I had a Chinese made NS Airking 2 -7 x 32 with AO that served me well for 1 year on a .22lr shooting silhouette matches twice a month (lots of dialling up and down) and since then, for the past 4 years, has been used by a younger shooter I gave it to, doing the same. It still works well and the glass is ok for the price.

I know of a really god shooter who had a NS Target Master 10-50 × 60 on his .308 for 2 years and it has now been on his .223 for 2 years and it still works (he shot out the .308 barrel using that scope). Once again, ok glass for the price.

Others have had them fall apart rapidly, poor glass, failed or unrelaible adjustments etc.

As others have said, you get what you pay for.

User

Thanks guys.

I understand the "get what you paid for" comments. Hence the question really.

Will see how things turn out, but I may just end up putting it on the 308 in any case - for the interim at least.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

User

I am totally envious!!! I also wanted to get one of the howa 308 APC combos.... that is a very sexy rifle at a very good price!!! was going to slap a nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 there...

but alas... all you lucky buggers beat me to it, and there were no more 308 APC left...

User

Fkritzinger phone Freddie at Kloppers George. He might still have some left

User

Update:

So I bought the Vixen after all. Still think I may just pop the NS on the Hornet then.

Now the license must just happen so that I can go and take it for a drive!