User

Angry IDS Alarm system problems

It's December, almost holiday time but I have problems and I'm not happy. Let's see if the collective wisdom of Gunsite can assist me with two separate systems.

First system - an IDS X64 installed at my workplace (where, among many things, I look after the facility). It is mostly working correctly but some minor things that bug me. Two weeks ago the system went off its rocker crazy, constantly spamming alarm signals at 19:00. I had to drop dinner with my family and rush over to work only to find no forced entry and that the alarm memory is clear, no zone triggered. I had to bypass one zone to re-arm it though. It worked normal for a few days until my boss couldn't arm it one evening when leaving. After a day of scratching around, I replaced the battery and things appeared to settle back to normal.

Well, that was until earlier this week. Power light flashing permanently and it reports AC fail when accessing trouble condition from the keypad yet it works normally when I disconnect the battery. I also recall that the Power LED was flashing prior to the events described above.

Bad AC supply? Lightning damage? Just IPS bad quality? I really don't want this system to go bonkers while I'm away for holiday.

Second system - An IPS I have at home. I believe it is an 800 series but may be wrong. This thing is downright crazy the past month. It started with spurious triggers from two outdoor zones. I checked the PIR units and they were fine, no issues I could see. The weird thing is that these two units almost always trigger simultaneously. It deteriorated to the point that I had these two zones bypassed permanently as they reported being triggered continuously. I replaced the system's battery hoping I would have luck but no dice. I also checked connections of zone wiring to the control panel. I am yet to do a thorough inspection on the entire wire route but a brief visual scan revealed no possible issues.

Yesterday the panel alerted me to AC Fail via SMS from armed response. I scolded the wife over the phone who scolded me back saying it is plugged in and on. Upon getting home I accessed either Trouble View or Bypass (can't remember) on the keypad and upon exiting the mode, suddenly it did not report AC fail any longer. Even more weird was that the two troublesome zones suddenly appeared to work normal for quite a while.

Any ideas what could be wrong? How do I fix it? I'm tempted to upgrade to a Paradox control panel but it is costly and I also don't know which one. How difficult would it be to connect the Paradox up and program it, especially considering the output to the radio for armed response?

User

Default Re: IDS Alarm system problems

I should probably add my requirements if I'm asking advice on a new system. I have 15 hardwired zones at present. The ability to connect to the system using an ethernet cable connected to my home network for remote access of the alarm is enticing. Other than that, not much except being stable and reliable.

User

An upgrade would be relatively pricey. You would need a Paradox MG5050 upgrade kit, zone expander and the IP module.
    IDS do not have a great reputation due to QC issues but they are cost effective.

Check the transformer (normally an issue) and batteries. How old are the PIRs?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SWF View Post
    An upgrade would be relatively pricey. You would need a Paradox MG5050 upgrade kit, zone expander and the IP module.
    IDS do not have a great reputation due to QC issues but they are cost effective.

Check the transformer (normally an issue) and batteries. How old are the PIRs?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    The 5050 seems to be focused on wireless devices. I would like to keep the existing hardwired infrastructure so the EVO192 seems a better bet. One of the affected PIRs is basically brand new so it definitely isn't PIR related.

User

I had a similar issue not long ago.
    Have you tried to reset the whole system? Disconnect the power and battery and hit the reset switch om the panel. Just check your book for specific instructions.

Warning! If you do this it wipes everything, zone set ups and remotes included.

If you are not familiar with the finer detail programming you may need to get the alarm company to come and reprogram.

This solved my problem.
    While the techie was the there he said it's usually a power surge or lightning that makes it go crazy.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    I'm not happy
    Well...? Which of the dwarfs are you then?

Paradox!

End of story!
    Last edited by Paul; 01-12-2017 at 15:10.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

On older alarm systems the cabling often goes after about 10 years. There might be a partial break in the cable and expansion/contraction from ambient temprature could cause the problem
    Also look at the keypad. Take it off and look at the wires squashed behind it. Wire can get damaged after years from same as above.
    While the keypad is off, work the micro switch behind it as this also gives problems after years of working properly. This just recently happened to me.
    And last, check all joints /resistors for corrosion. Remember this is low voltage and it does not take much to alter the total resistance of each circuit which is what the alarm is measuring constantly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by James1 View Post
    On older alarm systems the cabling often goes after about 10 years. There might be a partial break in the cable and expansion/contraction from ambient temprature could cause the problem
    Also look at the keypad. Take it off and look at the wires squashed behind it. Wire can get damaged after years from same as above.
    While the keypad is off, work the micro switch behind it as this also gives problems after years of working properly. This just recently happened to me.
    And last, check all joints /resistors for corrosion. Remember this is low voltage and it does not take much to alter the total resistance of each circuit which is what the alarm is measuring constantly.
    This seems to have been on the money. Found wires squashed into space behind one of the outdoor units. It appears that at least the +12V wire was damaged. Unfortunately there are no spare wire cores. I can "create" one by using a single wire for the common terminal of the two zones.

User