Default EyePro it's important.

EyePro is important.

However you need to understand what defines EyePro.

My opinion is any EyePro that is sold as EyePro, is sufficient for shooting range activities.

- Sunglasses are NOT EyePro.
    - Prescription eyewear (glass OR plastic) is NOT EyePro.
    - Your cheapest EyePro option if you have scrips are the Elvex OVR Specs from TacQM
    - If you are using more cost effective Eyepro, choose EyePro that has a single front lens without a separate frame. The frame is the weak point.
    - "Cool Guy Eyepro"is cool, but not the be-all and end-all.
    - If you are unsure about your "cheap" EyePro buy two, and shoot one with a shotgun... the stuff is cheap to test.

http://paratus.info/2017/11/28/eye-protection/

Oh, while you are at the above link, follow them.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Default Re: EyePro it's important.

Thanks for taking the time and money to perform the tests. It was a very interesting read. I'm definitely guilty of relying on polycarbonate pescription glasses as eye pro. Will make sure I have the proper gear before my next range trip.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trundle View Post
    EyePro is important.

However you need to understand what defines EyePro.

My opinion is any EyePro that is sold as EyePro, is sufficient for shooting range activities.

- Sunglasses are NOT EyePro.
    - Prescription eyewear (glass OR plastic) is NOT EyePro.
    - Your cheapest EyePro option if you have scrips are the Elvex OVR Specs from TacQM
    - If you are using more cost effective Eyepro, choose EyePro that has a single front lens without a separate frame. The frame is the weak point.
    - "Cool Guy Eyepro"is cool, but not the be-all and end-all.
    - If you are unsure about your "cheap" EyePro buy two, and shoot one with a shotgun... the stuff is cheap to test.

http://paratus.info/2017/11/28/eye-protection/

Oh, while you are at the above link, follow them.
    Thanks for this. I too have on occassion relied on my prescription lenses/sunglasses even though I have better eye-pro. For me, ussualy happens when I go for an unplanned shoot and don't have my range bag.... but no more!

I will keep a spare set in car....can't believe how stupid we all become sometimes....safety safety safety to the hilt on the range with the firearm...and then take chances with eye safety....thank God nothing untoward has happened yet, but no more chancing it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

But it is unpossible... because "how much are your eyes worth" so if you dont spend thousands of rands on the best name brand you're definitely not taking this shooting thing serious enough!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    But it is unpossible... because "how much are your eyes worth" so if you dont spend thousands of rands on the best name brand you're definitely not taking this shooting thing serious enough!
    I've always maintained that if safety goggles were good enough to protect you against all the spit-back working with power tools generates they'd be good enough to deal with a little steel ricochet...

That said I got myself a set of ESS glasses because gooder is betterer.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    When I tested expensive ones they didn’t only stop 7’d under 10m. They also stopped high speed number 4 bird.

And AAA except for right on the bridge where multiple strikes landed in a very small areas.

I shall continue to avoid hardware store specials

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    When I tested expensive ones they didn’t only stop 7’d under 10m. They also stopped high speed number 4 bird.

And AAA except for right on the bridge where multiple strikes landed in a very small areas.

I shall continue to avoid hardware store specials
    Either way, the test as performed above far exceeds ANSI requirements.

If ANSI Z87+ requirements are what's needed in our sport, and we have successfully exceeded them with cheap unrated EyePro then surely it's a moot point?

Being shot in the face with #4 at sub 10m will have other vastly more critical issues than using extra gooder Eyepro.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

For what it's worth, I use Oakley ballistic glasses which come in clear plastic as well as dark.

Very strong and durable.

I've done zero reading on the subject, i wear prescription glasses and contacts are not an option. Comfort is key.

I dont mind getting lenses made. What is a good value for money option available in SA?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk