Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Lawsuit after manufacturer's exploding rifle leaves trail of injured hunters

Difficult to protect people agains themselves...

Default Re: Lawsuit after manufacturer's exploding rifle leaves trail of injured hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    What's the significance ?
    Normally, a chamber has more steel around it than just the barrel thickness. Pressure is max in the chamber, then decreases as the bullet moves down the barrel. So it needs more steel to hold it together untill the pressure subsides.

In this case, there is just a barrel, no chamber to speak of.

Which works fine for low pressure, slow burning black powder. All black powder guns since antiquity were just long tubes.

This was 42.5 grains IMR 4759, which is similar to S265, with a 250 grain bullet.

That's like filling a .45-70 case with S265 and capping it with a 250 grainer.

And explains why so may of those guns blew up.

The solution is very simple, don't tell people they can use smokeless powder in your black powder rifle, unless it's built like a smokless powder rifle should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Normally, a chamber has more steel around it than just the barrel thickness. Pressure is max in the chamber, then decreases as the bullet moves down the barrel. So it needs more steel to hold it together untill the pressure subsides.

In this case, there is just a barrel, no chamber to speak of.

Which works fine for low pressure, slow burning black powder. All black powder guns since antiquity were just long tubes.

This was 42.5 grains IMR 4759, which is similar to S265, with a 250 grain bullet.

That's like filling a .45-70 case with S265 and capping it with a 250 grainer.

And explains why so may of those guns blew up.

The solution is very simple, don't tell people they can use smokeless powder in your black powder rifle, unless it's built like a smokless powder rifle should be.
    Thank you - got the point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    The bolt is only for the primer (209 shotgun primer)
    Also locks the breach-plug in place.
    Cool, thank you.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    What's the significance ?
    More importantly... what's the bloody point of it all anyway?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Really depends upon what you're aiming at.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'd wager these types of guns are the product of silly US hunting laws, that (depending on the state) may extend hunting seasons for i.e. muzzle loaders and shotguns, whilst limiting the allowed hunting season for (proper) rifles. That leads to guns like these that's essentially a modern firearm, but is technically classified as a muzzle loader, and fully-rifled "shot"guns that shoot bullets of modern design, but that can be called "slugs" for the matter of argument.

My wife's nephew had a rifle failure on a hunt. His client's bolt blew out the back and through his cheekbone. Client went straight back the US and got paid out - bolt failed somehow. No abnormal load in case anyone is wondering.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    My wife's nephew had a rifle failure on a hunt. His client's bolt blew out the back and through his cheekbone. Client went straight back the US and got paid out - bolt failed somehow. No abnormal load in case anyone is wondering.
    How does people prove this?
    I mean in a rifle the only thing in the chamber is the round, either loaded correctly or incorrectly.
    But in the barrel of a muzzle loader there could be anything in any given time, and seeing how people make mistakes so easily every day I really wonder how many of these things are not indeed user error.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I'd wager these types of guns are the product of silly US hunting laws, that (depending on the state) may extend hunting seasons for i.e. muzzle loaders and shotguns, whilst limiting the allowed hunting season for (proper) rifles. That leads to guns like these that's essentially a modern firearm, but is technically classified as a muzzle loader, and fully-rifled "shot"guns that shoot bullets of modern design, but that can be called "slugs" for the matter of argument.
    Ahhh... OK. Some of the US gun laws are deeply confusing... makes one almost happy to be dealing with the FCA =8-{O}
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast