Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Motivating a .22LR

Hi All,

I need a little input here. I am motivating my .22LR under section 15 - Occasional Sport Shooting with the following points:
    1. Training - improve my own skills, cheaper to practice with etc.
    2. Partake in Chasa .22LR discipline
    3. Vermin control
    4. Teaching my kids

I am not a member of a sport shooting club but a member of KZN Hunters. My background is hunting, no sports shooting barring range time to practise. I don't have proof of sport shooting barring the odd picture of targets.

Spoke to my DFO and he says I must license it only for vermin control and not mention anything about sports shooting as it will be rejected. He is confident that it must be licensed under occasional hunting which I understood to be impossible!

Alternatively he says remove any reference to vermin control but I need to beef up my proof of sport shooting, letters from a club etc.

So any advice at which way to go? Totally confused.

User

Default Re: Motivating a .22LR

i have a .22 astra 6" revolver

motivated on section 15 with regards to cost savings

User

honestly for some reason .22LR freaks some DFO's out

"assassin gun"
    "can only be licensed if you live on a farm"
    "the government is scared of how quiet they are, and how far they shoot"

then we have all the sec 16 guys with ARs in .22

User

Did mine S16, NHSA 25m target competitions. Also mentioned teaching of daughter shooting in safe manner etc. Went through without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Did mine S16, NHSA 25m target competitions. Also mentioned teaching of daughter shooting in safe manner etc. Went through without issue.
    Are you a member of a sport shooting club? Assume S16 - dedicated sport shooter and not dedicated hunter?

Maybe I need to join a sport shooting club, submit some pictures of targets as evidence of actually shooting and remove the reference to vermin control?

User

Yes sorry, normal NHSA member for the last few years...

A .22 is no more difficult to license than a centre fire rifle. Motivate it for vermin shooting and be done with it. If you can, add a letter from a friend that has a farm that can back your story up regarding pest control. Did mine under sec15 with one letter from a farm and my own motivation stating it will be used for varmin shooting and its cheaper to practice shooting target with. Got approved and printed in 8 weeks.

User

Rather go with occasional hunting?

"I hunt occasionally with my friend Bob, and I am member of the KZN Hunting what-what, and I participate in the CHASA .22 LR discipline from time to time."

Although, if you're a member of CHASA, why not go with Dedicated Hunter? [ I don't know what their requirements are...]

User

Did my .22LR under S16 DSS. 100 calendar days from handing in at DFO to card in hand (16/11/2017).

Purpose in motivation consisted of exactly 3 bullet points (apart from all the standard paragraphs on competencies, other licences, safe, etc):

• It will enable me to shoot in a different class (rimfire precision shooting)
    • Cost of ammunition is much more affordable
    • Can be utilised by the family (under my direct supervision) for sport shooting activities

Im also going to suggest NHSA. With the current price of 22lr ammo its cheaper to shoot 9mmP reloads then 22lr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast