Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Milsurp Bolt Action Collection?

I am contemplating a collection of bolt action Milsurp rifles .What do you guy's think should be in the collection and where are these gems are hidden ( shops ) ? I have an idea Classic Arms is a good place to try, any other suggestions are welcome, incuding theme wording from my fellow collector's. Thank you.

User

Default Re: Milsurp Bolt Action Collection?

Whew, I have a feeling that this thread could develop into something where some strong opinions are voiced..........

This could potentially be a HUGE Field of Interest with plenty of grey areas so I'm thinking you would have to define the scope & selection criteria of the FoI quite carefully.

The first few that come to my mind are as follows:
    - Lee-Enfield. This alone could provide dozens of options as there are so many variants
    - Mauser 98. As above but probably with even more variants. Lots of calibre choices too, not sure how I would go about choosing only a few of them.
    - Earlier Mauser bolt actions eg 96 as steps telling the story of the development of the 98.
    - Krag-Jorgensen
    - Mosin-Nagant (I'm far from expert in this but I believe there multiple variants of it as well)
    - Although it's a straight-pull and thus not a bolt action I would want to include Schmidt-Rubin in a collection of Milsurps
    - Arisaka
    - 1903 Springfield

Most of the above could warrant an FoI by itself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Whew, I have a feeling that this thread could develop into something where some strong opinions are voiced..........

This could potentially be a HUGE Field of Interest with plenty of grey areas so I'm thinking you would have to define the scope & selection criteria of the FoI quite carefully.

The first few that come to my mind are as follows:
    - Lee-Enfield. This alone could provide dozens of options as there are so many variants
    - Mauser 98. As above but probably with even more variants. Lots of calibre choices too, not sure how I would go about choosing only a few of them.
    - Earlier Mauser bolt actions eg 96 as steps telling the story of the development of the 98.
    - Krag-Jorgensen
    - Mosin-Nagant (I'm far from expert in this but I believe there multiple variants of it as well)
    - Although it's a straight-pull and thus not a bolt action I would want to include Schmidt-Rubin in a collection of Milsurps
    - Arisaka
    - 1903 Springfield

Most of the above could warrant an FoI by itself.
    Hi BBCT, excellent post, I do agree, this could be a fantastic thread, I will post my list soon , although you have already posted a great list thank you. What should I call the collectors theme?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

User

Hey Tims

I am a collector with SAAACA and 2 of my themes revolve around Military bolt actions. My first one is Military Mauser bolt-action rifles and the second is Military Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles. This is a huge field with almost un-limited collection potential as there are so many military Mauser variations and the same for the Lee-Enfields. Now you have not even scratched the surface here.

Regards

Paul

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vatikaki View Post
    Hey Tims

I am a collector with SAAACA and 2 of my themes revolve around Military bolt actions. My first one is Military Mauser bolt-action rifles and the second is Military Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles. This is a huge field with almost un-limited collection potential as there are so many military Mauser variations and the same for the Lee-Enfields. Now you have not even scratched the surface here.

Regards

Paul
    Hi Paul, also with SAAACA, yup this is huge and potentially fascinating. Let us know what you have already?

User

Tims, Perhaps you should also think about selecting a field which has a bearing upon your chances of success. This will obviously depend upon what is most likely to be found in South Africa. Here one can consider the rifles that have been issued to our military forces and later sold as surplus, used by local sportsmen, or entered the country as war trophies. This angle would suggest the many variations of the Lee Metford/Enfield or Mausers.

A somewhat similar but more difficult field could cover bolt action rifles used by foreign countries, or combinations thereof, over certain periods such as the Boer War or two World Wars.

I can only wish you luck on entry into a field and hobby which is both fascinating and challenging. However, just an observation and word of advice: Collectors need to remain flexible since fields tend to narrow as knowledge and experience increase. Also, once you have selected your field, please let a very early investment be on adequate reference material which should be studied carefully before spending too much on acquisitions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    Tims, Perhaps you should also think about selecting a field which has a bearing upon your chances of success. This will obviously depend upon what is most likely to be found in South Africa. Here one can consider the rifles that have been issued to our military forces and later sold as surplus, used by local sportsmen, or entered the country as war trophies. This angle would suggest the many variations of the Lee Metford/Enfield or Mausers.

A somewhat similar but more difficult field could cover bolt action rifles used by foreign countries, or combinations thereof, over certain periods such as the Boer War or two World Wars.

I can only wish you luck on entry into a field and hobby which is both fascinating and challenging. However, just an observation and word of advice: Collectors need to remain flexible since fields tend to narrow as knowledge and experience increase. Also, once you have selected your field, please let a very early investment be on adequate reference material which should be studied carefully before spending too much on acquisitions.
    Thank you, I will post a more concise post as soon as I can. These are great posts, thank you.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Banned

Suggestion: prototype/experimental bolt action rifles (for military use?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Enfield

Some of these P13 rifles found their way to SA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Nice Dominee, thank you.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

This could be covered under “derivatives there of”
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast