Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Milsurp Bolt Action Collection?

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    This could be covered under “derivatives there of”
    Thank you, hmmm, okay, I see what you are saying.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Hi BBCT, excellent post, I do agree, this could be a fantastic thread, I will post my list soon , although you have already posted a great list thank you. What should I call the collectors theme?

I would start with something along the lines of: "Magazine fed manually operated milsurp rifles". It would allow you include the straight-pull Schmidt Rubin (which is not bolt action per se) but would exclude earlier items such as Martini-Henrys which obviously didn't have a magazine and it would also be clear that you are not trying to sneak in things like M1 or M14 rifles and/or FN LARs that are semi-auto or full auto. While I personally would love to include the latter, there is little doubt that anything involving semi or full auto is scrutinised much harder than manually operated both by your association and by CFR.

In order to define the FoI even more closely you could choose a date range: ".... manufactured between 1890 and 1950" for example and/or list countries that manufactured the rifles in your list. You could also put in a phrase that says something like: ".....that were issued as service rifles by any of the protagonists in WWII". You could also add a phrase that says something like: "limited to one example of each irrespective of calibre, model or mark". (Good luck with that bit of it! )

It could be a technological or historical theme.

In my experience, the more tightly defined the FoI is, and the more clearly defined the boundaries; the easier it will go through. It seems to work better if one has several small tightly defined FoI's than trying to produce a single complicated FoI that includes a combination of say WWI German pistols & Korean war rifles.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Thank you, hmmm, okay, I see what you are saying.

For example, you want Mauser Rifles. You. Can also collect Yugo M48’s as they are derivatives there of, or if you are collecting Lee Enfield 303 Rifles you can add in an Ishapore 2A 308 for the same reason.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Late again!! story of my life lol.

speak to relatives and friends....you may be surprised (in Canada anyhow) how many people have had rifles just collecting dust.. and often sell very cheap or even give away. Pick up ANY military bolt action.....examine it for inspection stamps /place of mfg./ calibre/ etc.......
    One of my bolt guns,a Portuguese mauser model1904 went from BERLIN to PORTUGAL,TO East Africa to ?????? then to CANADA... Still in original 6,5x58mm great rifle,excellent bore and it was very interesting to look up the history. remember,ANY rifle you buy can be sold traded or a combo of both to other ''collectors'' . you don't need to spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ when starting out...... moisin nagats are a big collecting item....like enfields.... many models and countries...... most of all, have fun while doing your collecting..

User

I don't think any bolt-action milsurp collection would be complete without one of these which I picked up a couple of days ago:

It's a a 1942 Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag 6.5x55mm m/1938 colloquially referred to as "Swedish Mauser" in VGC along with frog, scabbard and bayonet. I believe the correct English translation of the Swedish designation is "Light Infantry Rifle".

The gold disc indicates several things - the condition of the bore, the accuracy of the rifle when tested, as well as bore size and groove variations (if any). The range plate (mounted upside down so the shooter can read it) is there due to the fact that these rifles were originally manufactured and sighted to use the round-nosed m/94 projectile but during the war, the Swedish military adopted a "Torped" or Spitzer type BT round which had different ballistic characteristics and this plate provides the range conversions one needs to make.

The Swedish armourers set extremely high standards for which rifles they'd consider battle worthy and these rifles are of a very high standard of quality both in terms of manufacturing and accuracy. I haven't fired this particular rifle yet (I will tomorrow though!) but I've fired a friend's Carl Gustaf manufactured m/1938 and it's the greatest degree of accuracy I've ever achieved with a bolt-action rifle.

User

T-S, That is a very fine example. lot of Canadian moose went to the ''happy hunting ground'' taking a 6.5x55mm round with them.

You could give Blunderbuss a call as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2