Thread: Pistol safe

Default Pistol safe

Hi, just bought my first firearm today. Glock 19 Gen 5 (R9600 from Safari & Outdoor for those interested). I need to do my motivation now but just a question on the type of safe. Does the safe have to have specific specs etc? Makro is selling a small safe for under R600.
    Thanx In advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Pistol safe

I take it you should rather ask the question do you want a safe that can be opened with a screwdriver.....

Banned

I don't want to talk law here but
    A safe must to the satisfaction of the Registrar comply with the following requirements -
    (a) Be manufactured from steel of at least 2mm thick;
    (b) Be capable of enclosing or covering the firearm concerned wholly;
    (c) Have an effective integral locking mechanism;
    (d) Have a hinge mechanism for the cover or lid thereof which shall ensure that when the locking pin thereof is removed, the cover or lid shall not be capable of being opened or removed;

A SABS approved safe will work and usually they are in the region of R2 000.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpglock View Post
    A safe must to the satisfaction of the Registrar comply with the following requirements -
    (d) Have a hinge mechanism for the cover or lid thereof which shall ensure that when the locking pin thereof is removed, the cover or lid shall not be capable of being opened or removed;

The one in the OP picture looks like the Xpanda safe which is SABS approved and considerably less than 2k.

May not be the best on the market but it meets spec (as long as it is the brown one)

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpglock View Post

The specs in SANS 953-1 are also a tad more stringent than these numbers

User

Congrats on your purchase.

The safe needs to comply to SABS specs. The one you're looking at is the Armour Small Key Box safe. I speak under correction but I don't think this one meets the spec.

Xpanda have a couple of handgun safes that conform to spec. Makro usually stock these for around the same price as the one you're looking at.

If I may, why not consider getting a rifle safe right from the start? You're going to need the space once you really get into guns - and at some point everyone does :-)

Also check out Rebel Rifle Safe. Good products and good prices.

User

Please note, if your buying a gun because living in SA requires one to stay alive, then get a little safe for a pistol. ( note above requirements )

If your buying a gun because guns are sugar coated awesome life changing Miss South Africa models to love you just as much as you love her. Get a big ass rifle safe with shelf for pistol initially because your in it for the long haul. ( don't forget second hand un's )

For what its worth, my suggestion would be to speak with the dealer (Safari and Outdoor...if that is where you bought the pistol from) about a safe. My experience is that they are only too happy to make the extra sale and usually at a reasonable price. It's all about building a relationship as ammunition, clothing, accessories etc often follow the initial firearm purchase.