Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Advice and indecision

I need some advice and input, please... (feel free to klap me if I ramble too much or say something asinine.)

Current status:
    Pistol purchased and paid for in full.
    Competency approved.
    Licence application not started.

So I purchased my pistol to go to the range and put holes in paper. I then thought that I may actually want to carry it for SD. Maybe not every day as the company I work for frowns on it and sadly I used one of the directors as a reference. And that’s all in the first day.

Then I started watching those stupid Collion Noir videos and now I want to do IDPA and 3-gun shooting....

So here are my dilemmas

• Do I licence for SD or get dedicated and go for section 16? I was worried about the EDC (eventually) implications of a section 16, but the consensus seems to be that is a non-issue. Also on SD I'm limited to 200 rounds.... really? That’s barely even a start to fun morning at the range. Would hate to try talk my way out of the poo-poo if I got pulled over on the way to the range with 4 boxes of ammo and a couple mags of SD rounds.

• Is it even possible to get dedicated status without having a weapon to take to various competitions?

• Is there anything in the competency application that would force me to stick to SD / Section 13? Going through a copy of the training certificates and the application I submitted to the DFO I can't see any reference, nor anything on the documents the LGS gave with my purchase, but I can't recall if there was any discussion with the DFO. I'm leaning towards no, but if anyone has any concrete info, please confirm for me.

• Self-motivation or getting a pro? The guys at my LGS recommended I go through on of the well-known pro's and apparently the DFO I've been dealing with recommends the same guy. I had a quick chat with him a few weeks ago and got the impression that he'll throw the Dutch family bible application at them. I'm torn between paying for that and having it "done right" in my mind, vs trying it myself and screwing it up. If I do it myself and it is denied, would it be better to get the pro’s to do it and throw the "book" at them instead of appealing? I do like the idea of saving myself the cash (more ammo) and doing it myself.

Ok... hope that is in some way legible and you can follow my rambling train of thought. I thought I'd do this now before comitting to anything by starting my application. I really didn't spend enough time going through advise here before making my purchase and I probably would have had to think over my choice of pistol 3 or 4 times before buying. And if I'm 100% honset I think I probalby would have had to choose something else if was really going to listen to the advice...

Let the abuse and help start...

User

Default Re: Advice and indecision

I licensed my very first pistol on Sect15, and EDC'd it for over 2 years before getting a Sect13 license, so no real issue there. There is some old wive's tales about getting into shit if you use your Sect15/16 firearm in self defense, so don't stress it.

You can get DSS without owning a firearm yourself, it is just a tad more admin as you will need to have access to someone else's firearm to do what ever events your chosen club requires etc.

I personally think paying someone to do a copy/paste motivation is a waste. Sure, it is a bit of a daunting task when you do it the first time, but really no rocket science is involved. I recall a while back a whole bunch of licenses were declined due to the motivations all being the same copy/paste exercise. There are quite a few examples floating around here on GS. I'd say use one of them, and if you feel like it, I am sure there are many guys here who will give it a read-through and give some tips if needed.

Oh, DSS trumps 200 rounds everywhere...

Join NHSA, apply for DSS, complete the online test, borrow a firearm to do the practical shooting exercise and then apply for S16 using an endorsement from NHSA.
    Join a regular sport shooting club while waiting for your license and then get a 2nd DSS through them too.

User

Most guys at Clubs will be willing to help a new shooter with a "loan" FA as to ensure you get enough credits for Dedicated.

Write your own motivation, but make sure you cover all the W's. Take time and write a proper motivation. Nearly all the guys I know does there own motivations and their licenses is approved.

Done my own for 11 and got 10. The 1 not approved was dicey from the begining, so it does not really count in my book.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Eniigma View Post

• Do I licence for SD or get dedicated and go for section 16? Go with S16

• Is it even possible to get dedicated status without having a weapon to take to various competitions? Yes, esp if one goes through NHSA (natshoot.co.za) - you can generally borrow/ rent from ranges or mates to do qual shoots - if you're in JHB, borrow mine.

• Is there anything in the competency application that would force me to stick to SD / Section 13? Go with S16

• Self-motivation or getting a pro? I'm torn between paying for that and having it "done right" in my mind, vs trying it myself and screwing it up. If I do it myself and it is denied, would it be better to get the pro’s to do it and throw the "book" at them instead of appealing? I do like the idea of saving myself the cash (more ammo) and doing it myself. I can mail you templates, and will happily give yours a read-through.

See italicised above...

What gun is it?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    What gun is it?
    Sig P320

User

To be different I would suggest you licence the gun for whatever your main use will be.

If you want to shoot IDPA and 3gun, joining natshoot for a 'quick' DSS wouldn't make much sense. Why not licence it under S15 instead, then you can get DSS while the application is being processed and have no ammo limit when your licence comes through?

Or go S13 if your main reason for wanting the gun is self defense, the same applies as above and you can have DSS by the time the licence is granted, but through the sporting association you actually want to compete with

So I've done the work for dedicated...

• I joined IFTA as the range I use and where my gun is stored is part of them.
    • Took a few days at the start of the year while i was on leave to do enough supervised shoots to get my points required for dedicated.
    • Wrote up my motivation, and got feedback on it from a few people.
    • Waited for my dedicated certificate and IFTA membership letter and local club membership.
    • Got all my stuff printed and certified and ready to go.

Went to hand it all in on Friday 9th and the DFO I've been dealing with was on leave so I spoke with a Cpt who :
    1. refused to deal with it as I live out of their cluster.
    2. went over it briefly and advised i was missing the endorsment from ITFA which relates to my gun specifically and why it's suitable.
    So now I'm waiting for that...

Strangely I've gone from being super impatient, I mean I was the guy who phoned the CFR less than a week after submitting my competency app to now relaxing and taking my sweet time to make sure all my ducks are in a row before submitting.

In all of this I have another question, Do you need to or should you legally speaking maintain your dedicated status every year for the next 10 years your license is valid?

Ethically speaking I believe you should, for all intents and purposes I've said to the CFR "I want to use this blaster for dedicated sports shooting and I want you to give me a license for 10 years to do so". As such I'm not interested in peoples ethical or moral reasoning right now, I'm just intersted in the law. I haven't seen anything in the act to the point but it seems like a pretty glaring omission if it's not.

User

As I understand it, yes. And the association you belong to is required to keep the CFR updated on whether you are maintaining it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast