User

Default AREX Zero 1 Combat - Overview

I popped through to a local gunshop to take a look at these pistols, I was intrigued, a number of Youtubers had gushed over them as well as a few fellow shooters so thought I would take a look.

Please note, I am a proper Sig Sauer Wh0r3 so when someone tells me this new pistol beats the new Sig Legion in a "torture test" I felt the need to take a look at this usurper.

Firstly cost, ranging from R11500 to R15500 depending on your version and choice of gunshop it seemed nearly too good to be true. Comes in a nice plastic box with one spare Mag and cleaning kit.

First "finger bang" TM BigT, I am impressed, fit and finish is very good. The controls take a bit of getting used to, the decocker is also the slide stop, the ambi safety is a little narrow to engage, but can be done with the thumb knuckle. Mag release is standard fair push button. Sights are 3 dot and pretty low profile. The grip is substantial, my biggish hands barely fill the gaps. When trying to cycle the slide I find the recoil spring is very heavy and take a proper tug to get moving. The hammer is very small and requires a bit of care to get purchase on to cock into single action, this then makes racking the slide a fair amount easier. It also comes equipped with a light rail, should you want a torch, laser or combo.

I then took the pistol with a couple rounds onto the range. The gun I was using was pretty dirty, having been used by the owner to compete in a few competitions recently. Loaded up 5 rounds, concentrated, squeezed the trigger and bam, right behind the front dot, release the trigger, feeling for the click, release the trigger some more..finally, very HK P30 like, looong reset. Squeeze again, bam, right where I was aiming. Couple rounds later and a very tight group. Recoil was a lot more than expected given the weight of the gun, but accuracy was good. Eject the mag, load up some more rounds, insert the mag, reach for the slide stop and ppppuuuuush, nothing, not budging. Change grip, puuush, slide rocks forward, good to go. This is a negative for me, someone who likes to use the slide stop to run the slide forward, if you "slingshot it forward" not a biggie. I then try engage the safety, feels like I nearly draw blood but again no joy, use support hand to engage, another negative for me.

I then drop the safety and fire another 5 rounds at longer range, still very good accuracy. Shoot it unsupported and find it runs fine, even with my weak wrist and soft IT hands ;) Do some transitions and works well, trigger reset take some getting used to though.

I think the dirty gun caused the negatives with regards to the controls. All in all a good gun for the money, but in my mind, the Sigs are safe (admittedly also at twice the price :p ) Holsters mag be a problem locally but I am sure a local kydex wizard can help you out. Mags seem well built but I'd buy a stack just in case, can't have too many mags. I am not sure if the AREX can use sights from any other popular manufacturer, so if you want some after market ones, I would ask first.

I am by no means an expert, I have no pony in the pistol game either. Just enjoy guns and stirring kak *see Howa thread on GS FB page as proof ;) This is just my personal experience on a pistol I doubt many people know about.

User

Default Re: AREX Zero 1 Combat - Overview

Good review, thanks!

The gun had me interested due to the ambidextrous controls (I'm a lefty).

Cant say I'm a Sig fan after the P320 problem, I'm anxiously waiting for January to get mine fixed.

User

The AREX is modeled a lot on the look of the Sig Classic range of pistols, the decocker is pretty much a mirror image, they have however swapped the slide stop of the Sig for an ambi external safety.

I am not sure if the mag release is ambi though, maybe someone can confirm for us?

The felt recoil might be due to a too-heavy recoil spring.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The felt recoil might be due to a too-heavy recoil spring.
    Agreed! This one's recoil spring was tougher to overcome than my 40S&W HK
    Admittedly it was a pretty new gun so likely would settle in in a couple thousand rounds

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    The AREX is modeled a lot on the look of the Sig Classic range of pistols, the decocker is pretty much a mirror image, they have however swapped the slide stop of the Sig for an ambi external safety.

I am not sure if the mag release is ambi though, maybe someone can confirm for us?
    Mag release is ambi

User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftShot View Post
    Good review, thanks!

Cant say I'm a Sig fan after the P320 problem, I'm anxiously waiting for January to get mine fixed.

Have you had a look at the Grand Power pistols?

User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftShot View Post
    Good review, thanks!

I am not a real fan of the Polymer Sig pistols, though I would not turn down a P320 X-Five Carry (high on my list of want)
    I far prefer the Classic range of Sig pistols, and in my opinion, are far more ergonomic than the Arex. By classic range I refer to the alloy pistols like the P220, P225, P226, P227 and P239.