Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 338 Federal

Default Re: 338 Federal

Quote Originally Posted by Blink Stefaans View Post
    Not recoil shy at all.
    I already have a 223, looking to get a 6.5 Creedmooor and then i would like something slowish and hard hitting that wont leave a bloody mess with horns on the ground.
    If this was my main requirement and I had a k98 action to re barrel, I would go 9.3x62. Cases, bullets and factory ammo are locally produced, and imported reloading components are available. Also, it does fairly well with Somchem powders and will deal efficiently with anything from a duiker to a buffalo.

Now I'm tickled with the thought of the 9.3x62
    Other than changing the barrel what other modifications would need to be done?
    I do have a extra 8x57 mauser stock...will that be sufficient??

Banned

You could take any of the "slow & heavy" calibres.

The 338 Federal seems to be able to launch a wider range of bullets at unexpected high speeds.

User

All said and done, if you disregard dangerous game, the 338 Federal still seems like almost the perfect bush rifle for normal hunting.
    That and it's older sibling, the 358, which is just about the best little bush cartridge ever made.

I've never seen the .338 federal in action, I have guided a client shooting a .358 win. The .358 win is indeed an impressive bush cartridge for non dangerous game and I am sure the .338 Federal will be too. However, neither of them will achieve anything that a .308 win, with a 1 in 10" barrel, shooting a 220gr bullet won't.

There used to be a whole lot of medium bore bush rifles, the 9x57 Mauser, 9.3x57 Mauser and 9.5x57 Mannlicher comes to mind. All excellent cartridges, none of them popular at present. There is no reason to hunt antelope with a rifle over .308 caliber which, off course, does not mean that you should not do exactly that :)

Scraych that 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Just bought a Brno 7x64 Brenneke today from my friends dad who bought it new. Only used for hunting it has seen less than 500 rounds. I got it for a very good price...but my friend is quite miffed with me cause he wanted it
    The versatility of the 9.3x62 has got me seriously looking into the caliber. Looking at the cz or maybe ill find a bargain somewhere

User

Quote Originally Posted by Blink Stefaans View Post
    Scraych that 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Just bought a Brno 7x64 Brenneke today from my friends dad who bought it new. Only used for hunting it has seen less than 500 rounds. I got it for a very good price...but my friend is quite miffed with me cause he wanted it
    The versatility of the 9.3x62 has got me seriously looking into the caliber. Looking at the cz or maybe ill find a bargain somewhere
    Is the 7x64 the one also advertised in the newest Magnum?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I've never seen the .338 federal in action, I have guided a client shooting a .358 win. The .358 win is indeed an impressive bush cartridge for non dangerous game and I am sure the .338 Federal will be too. However, neither of them will achieve anything that a .308 win, with a 1 in 10" barrel, shooting a 220gr bullet won't.

I would agree on the virtues of a 308 shooting 220gn bullets. Or a 303 with 215gn bullets. Also, the 30-06 with 220gn bullets will be in the same league, or slightly better.

A 308 or 30-06, both with 1:10 twist barrel, can be had brand new, for less than the cost of a rebarreling job. But do not let that put you off a custom rebarreling job in one of the bigger bore cartridges...

My 308 has a twist rate of 1/12 otherwise i would have shot the heavies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    All said and done, if you disregard dangerous game, the 338 Federal still seems like almost the perfect bush rifle for normal hunting. That and it's older sibling, the 358, which is just about the best little bush cartridge ever made.
    This has been my thought as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast