Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 338 Federal

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Enjoy the 7x64. Hys 'n meneer. My hunting load is 150 TSX and I have not been disappointed as yet. From fallow to BWB have been taken without problems.
    I lust after a BRNO 7x64...

... just very slightly less than I lust after a BRNO 9.3x62!

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I've shot more than 50 eland, including a number of very large bulls with the .300 win mag using 165gr - 220gr premium bullets and have never had any problems. A 165gr - 180gr monolithic, a 200gr Trophy Bonded/Swift A-frame or a 220gr Nosler Partition will reliably penetrate into even a large bull's chest cavity even after hitting thick bone.

I have shot almost the same number, combined, with the 6.5x55 and the 7x57. With the smaller calibers you do need to be a lot more careful, monolithic expanding bullets will kill cleanly with shots on the shoulder, in the so-called vital triangle, as long as you avoid the thick shoulder bones. With cup and core bullets, bonded or not, a shot through the ribs just behind the shoulder is basically your only option.

I would say that the .308 calibers are completely adequate for even large eland bulls, provided you use a really good bullet. Suitable bullets include Barnes TSX, Peregrine, Trophy Bonded, Swift A-frame and the heavier Nosler Partitions (220gr). I have seen a few of the bonded cup and core bullets, Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond, over expand and fail to penetrate when hitting the heavy shoulder joint on both blue wildebeest and eland, so I won't really recommend them or non-bonded cup and core bullets.
    But you live this, you have a rifle in your hands just about every day, me not so much :D. That’s why I’d prefer something that I know will smash through bone.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Default Re: 338 Federal

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    But you live this, you have a rifle in your hands just about every day, me not so much :D. That’s why I’d prefer something that I know will smash through bone.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a larger caliber, provided you shoot it well. However, very few hunters shoot a 9.3x62, .375 H&H, .338 win mag or even one of the .300 mags as well as they can shoot a .308 win. The main reason is probably that everyone wants to shoot from a bench as much as possible.

If you are comfortable with a larger caliber all the better. Have a good new year!

User

You guys are now confusing newcomers by throwing in the big guns here.
    Precious few people will ever hunt more than 1 adult male eland. The animal is just too big to fill the hunting needs of the average hunter. So we discuss smashing big shoulder bones and whatever, but it’s not really relevant. Your average 308 will put our normal game animals down for the count.

You don’t buy a 4x4 for city use because you might drive a trail one day.
    I hunt bush every year with my 270 and 130gr bullets, my very first concern with the TSX is always over penetration, because it sings through a kudu and is very capable of wounding beyond it. Hence it will take a young eland bull or cow down with no problems.

A 165gr Barnes TSX or heavy bonded is almost overkill for the normal stuff we hunt. So all your medium calibers is enough for the normal hunter. You buy a big gun because you want one, the opinions of the PH guys are skewed many times because often they guide users shooting that one big eland, but the average hunter, no ways. If you are the average meat hunter any of the 30 cals is perfect for you. Practice is cheap and components easily avail.

Just saying.

And by the way, a happy new year my fellow hunters.

I am lucky enough to go hunting at leat 4x each year....perks of the job.
    I shoot meat for my freezer and also shoot for friends, family and some of my clients that dont hunt.
    Last year I hunted 20 animals and only one for myself. Even though i dont often hunt Elnand, they are sometimes on the cards

User

Messor...there should be no confusion here.

The OP has a 223 and has just commited to a 7x64. We are not talking about a newcomer and advocating the use of a 9.3x62.

I agree with the statements made by yourself regarding the fact that a 165gr bullet is suitable for 99% of animals hunted in this country and indeed i would not feel undergunned with a 7x64 which is a great caliber.

The original question was about re-barreling a 308 to a 338 Federal for hunting in the bush.The advice given,was that a 9.3 would be a practical alternative as another option to the Federal.

A newcomer would have been advised to purchase a 308 Howa.

A good new year to you and all GS users...cheers mate.

User

Oh,and by the way,i can see you avoid shopping malls. Pop past one sometime,you will be amazed at how many 4x4's are purchased for use in the urban jungle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Oh,and by the way,i can see you avoid shopping malls. Pop past one sometime,you will be amazed at how many 4x4's are purchased for use in the urban jungle.
    I'll stalk some.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a larger caliber, provided you shoot it well. However, very few hunters shoot a 9.3x62, .375 H&H, .338 win mag or even one of the .300 mags as well as they can shoot a .308 win. The main reason is probably that everyone wants to shoot from a bench as much as possible.

If you are comfortable with a larger caliber all the better. Have a good new year!
    Happy new year GS Folks!

Yip I hear what you say on the big kickers, they often cause a flinch especially when shot from the bench. I had to learn that you need to sit strait up when at the bench so you can roll with the recoil. Now most range shooting is done from sticks or sitting on the ground and resting my elbows on my knees. Leaning into the rifle like many do at a bench is a sure was to get the snot kicked out of you.
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 01-01-2018 at 06:43.

I do like the look of 338 Fed, but I would say 9.3x62 might be more fun (I own one, what it does to pigs is AWESOME!)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6