Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default The definite 308win bullet choice thread.

Through out the hunting forum there's scattered threads on the 308 and bullet choices. Now the 308 is not a tough or finicky calibre to reload for, but with so many components available , one sometimes overthinks what would work well for a particular scenario. I would like to hear what bullet choice and the reason behind the choice in the following format:

1.) Bushveld hunting, up to Blue Wildebeest ,Zebra
    Bullet choice-
    Reason-

2.) "Plains" hunt, longer distances may be encountered-various smaller to medium size game
    Bullet choice-
    Reason-

3.) The average hunters once off Eland hunt.
    Bullet choice-
    Reason-

If you feel you have one bullet that works well for all the above, state it.

We will assume a barrel length of 22", with a 1/10" twist rate.
    Disclaimer-I understand all the above does not matter if shot placement is off.
    I am not suggesting the 308 is the ultimate hunting calibre, merely started this thread due to its popularity and various 308 bullet threads.

User

Default Re: The definite 308win bullet choice thread.

I am not a fan of changing bullet weights. Each does have its uses though. I prefer to stick to one weight and learn it's trajectory.

I stick to 150gr.
    I have used PMP brown box on Impala to Kudu/Blue Wildebeest.
    For Eland, stick to the premiums. I have shot Eland with 150gr Rhino's and they fully penetrated the Eland.

Meat damage has never been an issue.

I now have 150gr Barnes TTSX that I still need to do load development with.

User

You are going to get a different answer from everyone that answers your post.
    They will proberbly all work which just shows what a forgiving,versatile caliber the 308 is.

I have said before that the 308 is the ideal rifle for the single rifle owner as it can be made to fulfill any role required of it and yet for the multiple rifle owner,there is a better choice for each required role.

The humble 165gr Sierra Game king [hpbt] will fill rolls 1 and 2 nicely as well as being inexpensive enough to do plenty of range work.A 150 or 180gr bullet would also suffice but the 165gr gives a nice balance between velocity,trajectory,penetration,meat damage and bullet weight.If cost was not too much of a factor then change the GK's to Nosler partitions.

Eland bulls...personally,i would go 180gr as a minimum and use a premium bullet such as an A frame or a partition.

User

I happily shoot different bullet weights. For plains I've had great success with 150gr Interbonds, largest animal taken was a black wildebeest at 230m, bullet smashed the right shoulder bone and penetrated into the left one, recovered weight was 125gr iirc. Because I shoot these fast (~2800fps, zero distance 200m, MPBR 230m) they won't be great at closer bush ranges.

I've got an excellent 180gr Interlock BTSP load (~2450fps, zero 180m, MPBR 200m) that I would gladly use on medium sized game out to MPBR.

If I knew I was going to get nice and close, to something big I'd be very tempted to use the 220gr load (~2200fps, zero 150m, MPBR 180m).

None of the above are "ultimate bullets". When my Interbonds are all finished I'm contemplating replacing them with 150gr Swift Sciroccos or perhaps a 150gr mono (GMXs are attractive, since they are a direct replacement on my existing Interbond lo. Both these are probably overkill on the softer small plains game, but I won't feel undergunned on BlackWB or Zebra.

If I had frequent opportunity to hunt in bushveld, I'd strongly consider 180ge or 200gr A-frames, and just shoot everything with it.

User

There are such a big variety of good bullets available for the 308, that there really is no single "best" bullet for any particular application. And since so may are available, there really is no "jack of all trades" bullet either.

I would try to stick to just one specific bullet and load per rifle, in order to be able to develop a good, accurate load and get familiar with with it's ballistics.

If it's your only rifle, then you may be tempted to use if for a variety of applications, which would require different bullets. If so, it might be beneficial to get 2 bullets, one a cheaper target version and the other a premium hunting version, preferably with the same weight and very similar ballistics. This way you can still be familiar with the trajectory etc. irrespective of which bullet is in the chamber. This takes some extra development work.

For any other specialized applications, like the once-off eland opportunity, I would develop a specialized load with appropriate bullet (heavy premium), specifically for this single hunt. You might need to re-zero the rifle, so keep notes that allow you to return to the previous zero without excessive ammo expenditure.

User

Nosler accubond, swift a frame, hornady interbond is goeie keuses, jy kan ook kyk na barnes ttsx of fronier spartans. Vir jag sal ek niks minder as premium punt gebruik.

User

The problem you sit with is a 22” barrel is designed for bushveld hunting, so making it a jack of all trades rifle is defying its purpose. I mean you are just not going to reach those top nodes like you would with a 24” (or longer) barrel to make it a real plains shooter. So the answers you give is specific, just like someone with a 26” barrel but a 1in 14 twist, again the options will differ. So before you start it’s important to know the opinions here does not reflect a 308win, it reflects a specific scenario.

That in itself answers most of the questions, but to be specific, given the criteria:

You load a 180gr Nosler partition, a 180gr Swift A-frame or a 165gr Barnes TTSX.
    Those 3 will kill all things dead in the bush, they will not fail, with no meat damage. I know some will say a 150gr monolithic is better in 308W, but upping the velocity is of no use in the bush and the 1in10 stabilizes the 165gr more than enough. With a 308 and any of those bullets no person hunting bushveld will ever need another gun.
    2.) "Plains" hunt, longer distances may be encountered-various smaller to medium size game
    Here many a folk would say load a 150gr with a high BC, but again, accuracy is key on the plains, and reaching top nodes just aint going to happen with the 22”. You are better off shooting a high BC 165gr in this scenario. Or a 130gr TTSX at 2900ft/s, will also kill stuff dead with somewhat of a flat trajectory.
    No use to single this one out, those mentioned in number 1 will kill any eland very reliably.

To end, those would be hunting bullets, any person with a 308 should have a practice round as well.
    Also, those are expensive, but no mention was made to buy more affordable bullets.
    Many others will work reliably, but you’ll be hard pressed to beat those.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The problem you sit with is a 22” barrel is designed for bushveld hunting, so making it a jack of all trades rifle is defying its purpose. I mean you are just not going to reach those top nodes like you would with a 24” (or longer) barrel to make it a real plains shooter. So the answers you give is specific, just like someone with a 26” barrel but a 1in 14 twist, again the options will differ. So before you start it’s important to know the opinions here does not reflect a 308win, it reflects a specific scenario.

That in itself answers most of the questions, but to be specific, given the criteria:

You load a 180gr Nosler partition, a 180gr Swift A-frame or a 165gr Barnes TTSX.
    Those 3 will kill all things dead in the bush, they will not fail, with no meat damage. I know some will say a 150gr monolithic is better in 308W, but upping the velocity is of no use in the bush and the 1in10 stabilizes the 165gr more than enough. With a 308 and any of those bullets no person hunting bushveld will ever need another gun.
    Here many a folk would say load a 150gr with a high BC, but again, accuracy is key on the plains, and reaching top nodes just aint going to happen with the 22”. You are better off shooting a high BC 165gr in this scenario. Or a 130gr TTSX at 2900ft/s, will also kill stuff dead with somewhat of a flat trajectory.
    No use to single this one out, those mentioned in number 1 will kill any eland very reliably.

To end, those would be hunting bullets, any person with a 308 should have a practice round as well.
    Also, those are expensive, but no mention was made to buy more affordable bullets.
    Many others will work reliably, but you’ll be hard pressed to beat those.
    this is what I use in a 20" 1/12 .308win

180gr swift aframes (being replaced with partitions) for the bush. i tried the 165gr ttsx but long bullet and short barrel left mv wanting.
    130gr TTSX (if i ever hunt the on the plains)

I practice with nosler 155gr CC, POI doesn't bother me only groupings with this load

User

I can't contribute much to this discussion as I'm a newbie to reloading, but I'm going to start now in the new year, and will use my 308 for all three scenarios ans I'm going to look to use the 165gr nosler accubonds in my Sako.

Three friends currently use them and from the samples / retrieved bullets, they seem to be exceptional

User

Discussing hunting bullets is like discussing bakkies or tyres or rugby teams or motorbikes. Every guy is going to have his own idea, and there will never be consensus.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast