Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: The definite 308win bullet choice thread.

Marshy...I have been using Nosler partitions,mostly in my 6.5x55 for many years with good results.
    I have now been using Nosler accubonds in my 6.5 Creed as my stock of partitions is running low.While my animal count is still quite low with the Creed,i have found that expansion is far more rapid and penetration less than with using partitions.

I am pleased that your friends are happy with them but they are twice the price of Sierra GK bullets. At this sort of premium price,i would look to pay just a little more and go for partitions.
    I just do not think that at 308 velocities that the price of accubonds are justified.

That said,ja,everything i have shot so far with the accubonds has fallen over dead.But the partitions are betterer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Marshy...I have been using Nosler partitions,mostly in my 6.5x55 for many years with good results.
    I have now been using Nosler accubonds in my 6.5 Creed as my stock of partitions is running low.While my animal count is still quite low with the Creed,i have found that expansion is far more rapid and penetration less than with using partitions.
    My experience regarding Nosler Partitions and Accubonds are the same. I believe this is due to the fact that the Accubond has no mechanism to inhibit expansion, this leads to lower penetration (due to a larger frontal area) despite the fact that weight retention is as good or better than the Partition.

The Accubond remains a good hunting bullet though.

User

I am a bit surprised reading these responses. I have posted a few bullet threads and a few times it gets mentioned at 308 velocities the 180gr cup and core bullets work fine in the bush. But here only premiums are listed..
    Pirate, a good friend swopped over to the 150gr scirocco during the accubond shortage. He said it took more work to develop an accurate load but the bullet in his opinion is tougher than the accubond.

User

Daniel55...For bush work with the 308,a 180gr standard cup and core is good to go.

User

Daniel, the Scirocco has a very thick jacket.
    This is a good article

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/...-loads-market/

User

I'm really thinking of the Partition as an option this year. Its either that, or a 165gr mono. I do have a cheaper load to practise with.

User

I recall in one of the other threads mentioned that there was a target/hunting combo that one needed the least to no load development due to the similar BC/weight/length of the bullets. I cannot seem to find that thread again, it may be worthwhile mentioning that here as well if said person is part of this discussion as well?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva10210 View Post
    I recall in one of the other threads mentioned that there was a target/hunting combo that one needed the least to no load development due to the similar BC/weight/length of the bullets. I cannot seem to find that thread again, it may be worthwhile mentioning that here as well if said person is part of this discussion as well?
    Hornady SST / Interbond definitely (I confirmed that by doing development on both and ending up with duplicate loads) and GMX reportedly too.

Nosler Ballistic Tip / Accubond supposedly too. A friend shoots both 155gr CC's and 150gr Accubonds and his load is essentially duplicated too.

PMP brown box / ProAmm (yes I know, not quite premium, but still) too.

Maybe I'm lucky, but my rifles shoot all 150gr bullets (only ones I've tried with, but I have no reason to believe it would be different for heavier bullets) to essentially the same place, when they launch at similar speeds.

Banned

Monos normally need a higher starting speed to ensure proper tip expansion at longer range. Due to that I use a 150TSX in my 22 inch barrel 30-06. To make sure that speed is still sufficient in the 308 I will suggest using the 130TTSX or its equivalent in other makes.

User

150 Nroma Kalahari's for everything small impala to Eland. out to 300 Meters no problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast